Chapter 33: The Prophecy

Evelina fainted moments after the ground had stopped shaking. Metella quickly gather up her daughter and left the room with her, taking the girl to the back bedroom. Everyone else uneasily left the area. Wanda knew they must have felt nervous by the cracking wall. They might have seen it as some sort of sign from their gods. The Doctor waited specifically for everyone to be gone and out of sight before he marched both Wanda and Donna straight into the TARDIS.

"We're leaving," he grounded out. He slammed the doors behind him and rushed up to the console, beginning to work the controls for departure.

"Doctor, we can't just leave. There's something going to here that we have to investigate," Wanda said to him.

"I don't care," he retorted, his voice hard and set.

"You know something is wrong with that place. We need to stay behind and fix it," Wanda said firmly.

The Doctor slammed down a lever aggressively. "You're not staying in this place any longer. We're going."

"Oi, Spaceman! If Wanda says we need to stay behind, then I suggest we do what she says," Donna spoke sharply, marching up beside Wanda with her arms crossed. She stared strictly at the Doctor, greatly annoyed by his behavior.

"We're going and that's that," snapped the Doctor, glaring to the red head.

"Doctor, if you leave here, then you are changing a fixed point in time," Wanda said loudly. He whipped around, staring wide eyed to her.

"What?" he questioned in bewilderment.

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. But we have to stay behind. I really, really, really don't want to. But we have to," Wanda spoke quietly.

The Doctor stared at her, his gaze still hard from earlier. "I'm not staying in a place that puts you in danger."

Wanda stared fixedly at him, examining his eyes closely. "Are you sure that this place is the danger? Or is it that I'm the danger?"

"What?! No! You're not dangerous!" The Doctor said this quickly, in a rush. He walked up to her, holding her arms. He looked as though he were trying to reassure himself just as much as he was trying to reassure her.

Wanda stared at his eyes carefully. "I can see it, though. There in your eyes. You're frightened of me."

His eyes hardened, looking determined. "No. I'm frightened for you."

"Are you sure about that?" Wanda whispered this quietly, staring at him evenly.

"Yes."

"Then tell me, what did those prophets mean? What were they talking about?"

He grip on her arms tightened. "Nothing. It was nothing. They were just rambling."

"Doctor, you and I both know they were telling the truth. Everything they say is true." Wanda paused, her eyes beginning to waver. "If . . . I'm dangerous—."

"You're not dan—."

Wanda continued on. "If I'm dangerous, then you need to tell me. Tell me everything."

He stared firmly to her. "No."

"Doctor—."

"No. And that's final. You are not dangerous. Others may think so, but you're not. Just because you're not stable sometimes doesn't mean—."

Wanda's eyes lit up in alarm and fright. "I'm not 'stable'? What do you mean by that?"

The Doctor froze slightly, his eyes going wide as if he had made a grave mistake. "I-I didn't mean that. I meant . . . I meant . . ."