7 - Play Ball (Naomi)

In the parking lot near the baseball diamond, Naomi tapped her fingers on her steering wheel. Greg's road bike was already locked up nearby, and while they'd talked since last week, they hadn't seen each other. Their changing dynamic was enough to navigate alone, but adding on a team of their friends intimidated her. Should she play platonic or affectionate?

It's a softball game. You're overthinking this. Just warm up and play ball. Plus, Ian is here.

After grabbing her bag and water bottle, she headed for the benches with players in blue jerseys. Her teammates greeted her with enthusiasm. She wasn't on the team only because it was a co-ed league and they needed women on the field; she rounded the bases faster than any of her teammates.

A man with sandy brown hair finished a sip of water and smiled at her. "Hey, Nomi. How've you been?"

This week it was a loaded question. Ian was a friend, but he was also Tara's younger brother, sharing the same pale, freckle-dusted skin.

"It's been good, busy at work, and you? How were those exams?"

He grinned. "Fairly brutal. Hopefully, my profs don't think so. I wish I had your job instead."

Naomi smiled. Working with dogs for a living was the main reason she loved her career. She couldn't imagine calculating and problem-solving as Ian did in his mechanical engineering program. "I'm sure you kicked ass. Like you'll do on the diamond tonight."

He chuckled and stretched his pitching arm across his chest. "How is the house treating you?"

"Love the space, hate the bills." Everyone said a home was an investment, but between property taxes, mortgage payments, hydro, water, and groceries, the cost was overwhelming. At least taking on a few private clients had helped.

"Nomi!" Greg's voice bellowed from the field.

She couldn't help but smile. Hopefully, Greg would see Ian and not make the situation too awkward. Even if Tara had broken up with Greg, siblings had different loyalty, and Naomi hadn't heard all the breakup details. As Greg's close friend, she'd always sided with him, but he likely contributed to that breakup too.

"I'll be out in a minute. Then we can run a few laps?" Naomi asked Greg.

"Of course." He returned to his game of catch with Marc. She grabbed her cleats from her bag and slipped off her sneakers.

Ian stretched his arms over his head and laced his fingers together. "Have you talked to him much since he and Tara..."

"We've hung out a few times. He seems to be okay. Still down about the split, but that's normal. How is she doing?" Naomi tied her first cleat.

"About the same. She might stop by the game tonight."

That was weird. Why would she drop by, knowing her ex would be here? Why not meet her brother afterward?

"Does Greg know?"

Ian grimaced as he leaned further into his stretch. "I didn't know how he'd react or if she's showing up for sure, so I didn't mention it. Things have been awkward with him since the breakup."

That was probably the best decision, although if Tara showed up mid-game, it would shock Greg and throw off his playing. While telling him would affect him, she knew how to put his mind at ease. Her stomach muscles tightened as if warning her to be careful. She finished tying up her left cleat then grabbed her glove and ran toward Greg.

"Can I steal him for a few minutes?" she asked Marc.

He gave her a knowing smile, his black eyebrows raising, and said, "Sure," while looking between her and Greg.