49 - Answers (Naomi)

Naomi sat at the kitchen table with Shivanna, eating waffles much like she had the first time her heart had gone through the wringer. Today, they'd topped them with frozen berries they'd picked together in July, back when Naomi's relationship was uncomplicated. She sighed.

"Not even the waffles are cheering you up?" Shivanna asked with a concerned tone.

Naomi tapped her socked feet against the linoleum flooring. "I feel so restless like I don't know what to do or what I want."

Shivanna set down her utensils. "Have you thought about hearing Kieran out? You don't need to decide before you two talk. Remember how it felt when Greg spent a week thinking about your asexuality without talking to you about it?"

It had sealed her choice to end their relationship, but she was the one with the decision to make here. Although Greg had likely thought the same during that conversation.

Would Kieran reconsider his feelings if she waited too long?

Her stomach shifted like she'd consumed rotting fish instead of the fluffy waffles. Despite how he kept secrets from her, she liked him a lot. He'd always respected and celebrated her asexuality, he'd poured effort into impressing and getting to know her, and it had all felt genuine. Maybe Shivanna had a point. Distance would make this hurt worse.

"I'll see if he's free today."

"It can be over the phone, or if you want to invite him here, that's cool. I'll be around." Shivanna's art summer camps had wrapped up, and now she was prepping for her upcoming school year with September nearing.

"Thanks."

After they finished eating and cleaning up, Naomi took Cleo to the backyard and grabbed her cell. She sat in a lounger chair, and the dog jumped up beside her. Cleo's soft fur and warmth comforted Naomi's jitters.

After she found Kieran in her contacts, she called him. His voice lacked its usual enthusiasm as he said, "Hey."

Had she pissed him off or was he still upset, like he'd been in the parking lot? His text had seemed forgiving, but she'd not replied to it.

"Hi, how are you?" she asked out of reflex.

"Mediocre, and you?"

"Not great either. I thought we should talk after... everything. Did you want to come over, or would you rather speak on the phone?"

Kieran was silent for longer than comfortable, making the nerve endings on her skin prickle like they were charged with static electricity.

"If you're planning on getting back together with your ex, I'd rather not drive there to find out. You can just tell me."

His statement stung. She'd always been faithful and reassured him she had no feelings for Greg. Was he trying to push her away now that she knew the truth?

But he wouldn't have tried to persuade her at work or texted her if that were the case. Kieran had admitted he worried about Greg in her life, but her silence had been about Kieran's lies, not her past relationship.

"He's not part of this at all."

Cleo licked Naomi's hand with her warm, scratchy tongue.

"He's a huge part of this. If it weren't for him, Jake and I could have told you about this yesterday in a much less upsetting way."

"You really were going to tell me?"

He sighed. "Yeah, I wanted you to know I loved you first, then tell you... it's difficult to share."

His words hit her like a glacial wind gust to the face. She didn't miss the 'loved' instead of 'love'. Whether he'd done it intentionally, she couldn't tell, nor did she have the courage to ask. Her feelings weren't as clear as they'd been two days ago either, but hearing him echo that made her heart clench up.