18 - Caesars (Kieran)

Kieran and Naomi had settled on a patio amongst the other folks in their twenties and thirties and retirees drinking away the weekday evening to a top-40 soundtrack. Beneath lit-up arches, cars drove down the two-lane artery through the neighbourhood of Winnipeg's 'Little Italy'. Despite the name, the street featured everything from hot pot to Korean BBQ to sushi to Greek or Lebanese food alongside homemade burgers and local artisan boutiques. He had already started eyeing up different places if they visited again next week. It was on the way home from Brinny's for both him and Naomi.

She had convinced him to try the caesar at this Italian resto-bar, and he had, although his next drink would be a beer.

Naomi sipped her cocktail and let out a satisfied hum, similar to the sound she made when they hugged. Or perhaps he'd projected his hopes.

The ice and pickles in the red liquid shook as she placed it on the table. "Aren't they the best?"

Kieran drank with her and nodded, even though Clamato juice wasn't his favourite, and he wasn't convinced pickles belonged in a drink, although this bar thought they should each have two.

"All it needs is bacon, and it would be perfect," she said.

"Does caesar bacon have another significance like it did on your ace pizza?" he teased.

He'd expected her to chuckle and roll her eyes, but her reddened cheeks made his stomach swirl with anticipation.

Her fingers played with the collar of her olive green button-up short-sleeved shirt with the cute little pocket. It was loose enough to make it a touch masculine, although she'd tucked it into her jeans to flatter her slim figure. She met his gaze with her bottom lip pulled slightly into her mouth.

Would she ask him to kiss her? He should have popped in gum on the drive here. But he had mirrored her drink choice, so maybe she wouldn't mind. He'd always found it sexy when Katy tasted like one of their favourite meals.

She's not over her ex and is asexual. Reel that imagination back in.

"Not to sound like a serial hugger, but..." Her doe eyes met his.

Kieran couldn't contain the laugh that brewed in his chest and barked out of his mouth. Naomi dissolved into similar but more subdued chuckles.

God, she's cute.

"For you, my arms are always open." When she froze and leaned away, he raised an eyebrow. "You going to leave me hanging?"

Her gaze darted around the fenced-in patio and to a group of women passing by on the sidewalk before she stood for an awkward hug. The chairs were hardly wide enough to accommodate him, let alone another person unless she sat on his lap. She wouldn't be comfortable with it, especially after discovering what the thought of kissing her had stirred up.

As she pulled away with a grin, he said, "We'll pick a place with a booth next time, so you can sneak in all the side hugs you crave." He wouldn't mind one bit.

"Next time?" Naomi settled into her metal chair with grace.

"If you're up for it. Sorry, I didn't mean to assume you enjoy hanging out together as much as I do."

It was more satisfying talking in person because she lit up like a firework with his compliments.

Her eyes widened. "You mean that?"

"Of course."

Her grin overwhelmed his chest with warmth. He would spout cheesy lines for years if it meant seeing that smile again. But if he wasn't careful, he'd dive in far too quick, and she was rebounding. While he didn't know how ace people rebounded, he guessed a close emotional bond would be high on their hit list. Hooking up didn't seem to be within her comfort zone. Their friendship was quickly entering the territory of the former. He had to dial it down a notch since he liked her company too much for this to fade into a regret on her part.