14.2 - A Slice of Comfort (Kieran)

He drove through the city, doing his best to avoid construction and countless potholes. One was so deep he had to swerve into the other lane.

Naomi lived near the edge of the city where the businesses faded to residential neighbourhoods, much like he was used to in Kingston. He'd never loved the busyness of Ottawa or Montreal. Winnipeg could be overwhelming too, but it was illogical for Kieran to invest money to settle in a more rural area at this stage in his life when everything still seemed temporary.

If he had to buy a house in Winnipeg, he'd choose a neighbourhood like this. A blue-collar area, not too pretentious, but also safe enough. He pulled into a strip mall pizza chain that had Naomi's order ready, and she'd paid for it already. He asked them to throw in desserts too, which he put on his card.

After he tossed the haul in the passenger seat, he typed her address into his phone. The drive took five minutes, and he pulled up in front of a modest bungalow with a willow tree near an enormous picture window, looking into a retro living room. Several medium wooden statues had him thinking Naomi was an art collector or an artist. A surprising number of them looked like lovers entwined, which seemed ironic given the reason for his visit. He grabbed the pizza and tried to push the thought from his mind since comforting her was the goal.

After ringing the doorbell, he checked out the hand-painted sign hanging over a mauve bench on their porch. 'Shivanna and Naomi's humble yet awesome abode'.

Did she own the place? She'd teased him about being twenty-six, and she couldn't afford a house on a dog trainer's salary being much younger than that. Maybe they rented, or she had family money.

The door swung open, and Naomi grinned despite her red-rimmed eyes. "You're fast."

"I took off running before Brinny discovered her dog was more mud than fur."

She chuckled and opened the storm door. "Ever the gentleman."

"My boots are muddy. I can leave them outside."

She shook her head. "I have bigger problems in my life than a dirty rug."

He left them outside anyway, and as he stepped inside, a light jingling sound neared, accompanied by gentle claws on the hardwood. Kieran did not expect a dog that size to create that modest noise. The most beautiful chocolate lab he'd ever seen sat by Naomi's side and studied him with a cocked head. The animal didn't make a single lunge toward him or aggressive bark. It just wagged its tail.

"This is Cleo."

The dog stared into his eyes as if expecting a greeting.

"Hey, gorgeous," he cooed to Cleo. He looked at Naomi next and handed her the pizza boxes. "Can I pet her?"

"Yeah, she's friendly." Naomi took off with their food.

Kieran got lost in the softness of Cleo's fur and the cuteness of that happy dog grin when he scratched behind her ears. She groaned in contentment as he kneeled so she could inch closer. After Cleo laid down flat on the ground, her paws in front of her as she eyed him, he petted her back.

Naomi chuckled as she returned and leaned against the wall. "She loves you."

"She would have made my childhood. I always wanted a chocolate lab."

"Never got one?"

He shook his head.

"Allergies?"

"A parent who made empty promises."

"Looks like Cleo would be glad to have you visit anytime."

She and Kieran shared a smile for a moment. "You sure, Cleo?"