26 - Game Night (Kieran)

When Kieran and Naomi arrived at the condo, it was after eleven. Both rode a sugar high if her giggling was any clue. Tonight wasn't the evening he was expecting. She showed up looking gorgeous after softball, which she hadn't wanted him to attend, and claimed the outfit was just for Jake's game night. Talking about Katy and the tattoo had lifted a weight off his shoulders. Perhaps letting out those memories would help. He'd have to speak to Jake to ensure it was alright.

"This is fancy," Naomi said as they pulled into his condo's underground parking.

"Jake wouldn't accept anything less."

"I was always curious who moved into these places."

"Now you know, very particular app developers and their tag-along brothers."

"You mean their super sweet electrician brothers."

He smiled at the compliment as he eased the truck into a nearby spot. Was that flirting or her teasing him about the mini donut sugar still clinging to his beard?

"Will they be mad we're so late?" Naomi asked.

"Nah, they'll understand."

Depending on the numbers they needed for each game, Jake might be irritable, but he liked Naomi and would be happy Kieran connected with her more. He wouldn't approve of Kieran's flirting, but she seemed pleased with every compliment, so he had no motivation to stop. He got an enormous rush chasing her smiles and laughs.

They rode the elevator to the eleventh floor and walked down the hall to door 1105. Raucous laughter bled through. When they entered, Jake called out, "Finally!" to his friends' amusement. They all sat on the gray sectional around the coffee table.

"Did you get lost or mugged or something?" Lucy teased.

"We wanted a few unsanctioned snacks. Everyone, this is Naomi. Naomi, you already know Jake, and there's Lucy, her boyfriend John, Landon, and Austin."

They chorused a "Hey Naomi," before returning to the game, except for Austin, who shot Kieran and Naomi an extra smile.

"Do you want a drink?" Kieran asked Naomi.

"Yes, please."

"You're a caesar fan, right?" She had ordered them each time they went out for drinks after training sessions and raved about the various kinds she'd tried in the city.

She nodded with a wide grin that made him very grateful that he procured the ingredients.

"Make yourself comfortable, and I'll have that ready soon."

"Thanks, Kieran." She smiled at him before heading to the game table.

Jake and Austin welcomed her and explained the rules of Ticket to Ride, which meant Kieran could take his time cleaning himself up and getting the drink right. He'd tried making a few this week that Austin confirmed tasted good since Jake wouldn't touch them.

When Kieran returned to the living room with a caesar and a beer, she sat near Austin, who continued his explanation with more patience and excitement than he'd use with Kieran. He set the drinks on a coaster on a side table.

"So Naomi, how did Kieran rope you into game night?" Lucy asked.

"Oh the usual, I was having a coffee, and he promised me he was secretly a Wookiee who knew a Mandalorian who could introduce me to Grogu."

Everyone laughed. Landon readjusted his aviator-style glasses and said, "I like her."

"We were chatting earlier in the week, and it seemed fun," Naomi said.