31 - Interruptions (Naomi)

The gentle sun and light breeze smiled on Naomi and Kieran as if they approved of the relationship. A soothing 25 degrees of dry summer warmth made being on the water a treat. After mastering balancing in the canoe and matching each other's paddling rhythm, their oar strokes' synchronicity propelled the boat forward as smoothly as a motor. She smiled as that smooth gliding sensation was addictive.

"Painted turtles at three o'clock on the log," he breathed.

Naomi glanced to the right, near the edge of the shallow lake. The couple sunned themselves together despite the excited cries of the kids in the canoes.

"I'm shocked they haven't scurried off yet."

"They must be brave or oblivious to our presence."

She and Kieran stopped paddling and floated closer. The reptiles sat side-by-side, as they lazed in the sun. It warmed their skin just past the point of comfort. At the right angle, they appeared to hold hands. Memories of her and Kieran's embraces tugged at her mind. Since when did animals trigger her desire for Kieran's touch?

The boat rocked as she readjusted her seated position, careful not to move too much and capsize. She'd done that enough as a kid.

"How are you doing?" She turned toward Kieran at the stern.

"Good." He wore a content smile as the paddle rested on his jeans, the residual water dampening the thighs slightly.

"Not too uncomfortable?" Even her butt was going numb.

"I'm alright. What about you?"

She stretched out her calf as much as the boat allowed, and pins and needles pricked at it. "My left leg is falling asleep."

"You are far more active and used to moving than me. We can return the canoe and hit the trails."

"Are you sure?"

"We've done five laps of the lake. I think we've seen everything there is to see." As if reinforcing his point, he broke the surface of the water with his paddle stroke.

They paddled to the dock where a family waited, observing the waterfowl near the shore. Kieran steered the canoe around the territorial Canada geese and their juveniles, who were smaller than the parents but with similar colouring.

Once he and Naomi had shed their lifejackets and returned their paddles, they tackled a trail on foot. The wooden boardwalk teetered as they walked across the reedy marsh where ducks flew from the algae-covered water. He seemed to struggle to keep his balance more than her, judging from the wood boards rocking beneath her feet, so she slowed her pace.

"These are way less stable than I remember," he muttered.

He had a point. Plenty of spots had enough pitch to roll a marble straight into the water with considerable speed.

"I'll jump in and save you if you fall."

"Oh yeah?" His voice took on an excited tone.

"You're looking at a former wading pool attendant. Expired first aid certificate and all."

He laughed. "I hate to rain on your heroics parade, but the pond is probably shallow enough to stand in. Although I feel safer knowing you can bust out outdated CPR. When did you work at wading pools?"

"For two summers in high school and another before I started working a few administrative jobs. It paid well and had full-time hours, but it was seasonal." It was the easiest money she'd ever made, but not interesting.

The boardwalk grew more stable as they reached the flatter section.

"And dog training is your passion?"