41 - Reflections (Naomi)

Naomi hadn't known when it would happen, but she'd expected Greg to storm off tonight. He hadn't done it at the game when she'd soothed her nerves with Kieran's kisses, nor after the romantic moments at the table that made her heart swell. Greg hadn't bolted despite her declarations of Kieran's supportive nature, but the mention of the party did him in. She understood why. Their friend group had all moved on together without him, and he feared being left behind.

He'd had similar fears during freshman year of high school and university too. He'd grow nervous when Naomi spent more time with friends from basketball or people she'd met through Shivanna. Then, he'd act awkwardly around Naomi and ask her if they were still hanging out in a panic but also unsmoothly tell her it was fine if she was busy. She'd always laugh and say he couldn't get rid of her that easily, and he'd revert to regular Greg.

"Wait," she called as they reached the parking lot near the patio, far enough from the acrid scent of tobacco smoke.

Greg stopped beside a red SUV and stared at her with a straight face. "Look, I tried, but the only person who wants me to hang out with you all is me. I can take a hint."

"Our breakup made things awkward between everyone initially, but it doesn't have to continue."

He sighed. "I understand why you didn't rush to tell me about Kieran, but Marc? We live together. I've been his friend forever. He should have had my back."

Naomi raised an eyebrow as a loud car drove by on the busy street facing the lot. "Like you had his at your party?"

"I've apologized and stopped seeing those guys outside work."

"Do you ever talk to him about the discrimination he and Nimkii face? Do you volunteer with him or show support in other ways?" While Naomi didn't do the latter often, she gave Marc a space to vent or discuss issues that bothered him.

Greg hung his head. "Not exactly. The past few months haven't been the best for me. But I'll try."

She stayed quiet as she had also suffered, but she wanted to avoid making this about her again. She'd done that last weekend. A group of people chatting and laughing walked past them and toward the pub like Greg, Marc, Shivanna, and Naomi used to do before all this drama.

Greg rearranged his brown hair. "You and Marc are my closest friends, and I've pushed you both away."

"You had Tara."

He dug his hands into his shorts' pockets. "Tara's not supportive. Or she hasn't been for a while."

"Since you broke up the first time?" In her shoes, Naomi would struggle to be supportive and trusting too. It would be like watching Kieran date Brinny if, and for whatever reason, they split up, he would only care for Naomi when he and Brinny were over. The scenario made Naomi nauseous.

"No, a lot longer than that." Greg's quiet, ashamed tone stirred sympathy in her chest.

He'd never even hinted things were bad, and she and Greg used to talk about everything. Was he being sincere now?

"You two seemed happy."

He rocked on his toes, glancing at a couple cuddling on the patio. "I always wanted to make her happy, but it got harder and harder. She pointed out all my mistakes, flaws, or if I'd upset her. Some nights, all she'd do was tear me down." He scratched at his neck and stared at the pavement.

"That sucks."

If Naomi hadn't confessed at the bar, would he have divulged how his relationship with Tara was? He'd still seemed so in love with her, and they got back together. She couldn't imagine doing that with someone who devalued her, but enough people stayed in toxic relationships. Greg had been weird on their first date, so anxious about making the meal perfect and impressing her. He had berated himself for not being able to do anything right. Maybe he'd been thinking about Tara differently than Naomi had imagined.