34.2 - Normal (Kieran)

After Naomi had a quick nap in his arms, where Kieran couldn't help but stroke her hair and back, he gently woke her up. She yawned with an adorable mewl, and as she observed her surroundings, her eyes widened.

"Did I fall asleep?"

"Just for twenty minutes."

She wiped her eyes. "Why'd you let me do that?"

"Your friends mentioned you're the Energizer bunny, and I thought you might need a recharge," he teased.

She sat up and shook her head. "Those jerks."

"I think it's cute, and that you're cute. You whimper in your sleep like a little puppy."

Her cheeks reddened, and he laughed. A quiet pause settled in as the indie playlist's acoustic guitar drifted in.

She looked down at her t-shirt and smiled. "Thank you for earlier. It meant a lot."

"That? It was nothing. I'm glad you're happier."

Her sad stare didn't leave him. "It wasn't nothing to me. "

"I mean it wasn't a big deal. It happens. While I like that you want to try this, I want you to feel comfortable and tell me as soon as you're not."

"I was excited about surprising you by wearing that and a normal amount of nervous when we came here, but it changed."

That was reassuring she hadn't forced the whole encounter.

"You're busy hosting a party, checking on people, whisking your handsome boyfriend around," he teased with a laugh. "It's a lot to juggle, or we might not be in that comfort zone, and that's cool too."

She snuggled against him. "Have I mentioned you're the best and I adore you?"

"My ego can handle hearing it a few times."

She kissed him softly, and he didn't dare move his hands or push her further. It was a sweet, tentative kiss. When she pulled away, her chestnut-hued gaze was filled with tender emotion. If anything their bond was stronger now that she'd opened up about her discomfort. His heartbeat echoed in his ears.

Voices carried in from outside the door. He'd already pulled her away from the party for almost half an hour.

"We should get back," he said. "I'll check on Jake, and I imagine your friends miss you."

"I'll change and find you in a few?"

He nodded and embraced her before he left. She clung to him like he was leaving for a year-long trip, and he returned the gesture with as much intensity even though he couldn't imagine ever being separated that long.

As he stepped into the hall, a guy who resembled Naomi's outspoken baseball friend pressed a blonde woman in a long dress into the wall, kissing down her neck.

Was that... "Brinny?"

She giggled, and their gazes met for an awkward moment before she focused on whatshisface.

"Looks like we're both having a good night." She laughed.

"Are you... is this... what?"

Had something happened between her and Cole? Brinny never hooked up with men she just met. She would get herself hurt. Or was she hammered, and this guy was taking advantage?

"Brin?"

The look she shot him was anything but a boozy haze. She seemed determined and happy. "I'll find you later, Kieran."

He took the hint when she returned to kissing that man. 

Was this his fault? Would she be okay? She was a grown woman and not inebriated, so he continued on.