30 - Second date? (Kieran)

When Kieran arrived home, Austin and Jake were still gaming in the office. They focused on their monitors during a battle with what Kieran could only describe as a tree monster with branchy shoulder blades. Once they won, Austin logged out and turned toward the door.

"Hey, how was the date?" he called out.

Kieran smiled and stood in the doorway. "It went well. She seemed to have a good time."

Jake whirled around in his chair with a serious expression. "You listened to everything I told you, right?"

Kieran and Austin shared a look and a laugh. "I tried, but keep in mind you bring your experience to your advice, and Naomi has her own comfort level that's different from yours."

Jake frowned. "What exactly does that mean?"

"That she likes surprise hugs and affectionate head kisses." Kieran smiled at the memory of her blissful sigh.

"Does she, or did you assume she does?"

"She told me. Verbal consent." Kieran threw Jake's earlier words back at him.

Jake crossed his arms, the hard muscles reminding Kieran how different their physiques were. "Just because she says it once doesn't mean it's okay all the time."

"I can read body language, and it's clear when she's uncomfortable." She'd chew on her lip, avoid eye contact, or fiddle with her clothes or purse.

"How'd she like the restaurant and the movie?" Thank goodness Austin had more normal questions.

"She loved the food. I don't think she understood much of the movie, although she seemed to enjoy being together. She told me I'm in charge of planning our next dates. Plural."

Austin smiled. "That's a good sign."

"Now I have to decide if we go to a restaurant, or for drinks, or to a movie."

"Hard to talk during a movie, and you just watched one," Austin said.

"A hike?" Kieran suggested.

"She is athletic," Jake said. "I read that there are canoe rentals at the Forks."

Austin frowned. "I'd stay clear of the rivers if you want something relaxed and more date-friendly. Fort Whyte has calm made-man lakes. They're at the southeast end of the city."

That wasn't a terrible idea, although urban canoeing was a touch boring compared to the lakes in the Canadian Shield region. But a road trip for a second date seemed too intense. He still had time to decide. Jake's fingers typed away on his phone, which was odd since Austin was here and Jake wasn't social enough to text other people without a good reason.

"Who are you messaging?" Kieran asked.

"Naomi."

"What?" Austin and Kieran chorused.

"Why?" Kieran stepped closer until he was in his younger brother's space, but it didn't phase him.

"To confirm your impression of the date and hers match. It should give you peace of mind."

Kieran sighed, regretting not warning Naomi against giving Jake her number. "She told me she had a good time and couldn't wait to go out again. What else must she do to prove herself?"

Jake looked at his phone and smiled. "She said it was a great night, and you were a perfect gentleman. Although our current generation's failures may skew her standards."

Even Austin was shaking his head.

"No more messaging her. Let her enjoy her night." Kieran reached into his pocket.