9.1 - By the Candlelight (Naomi)

Naomi lay on her stomach on her couch and grinned at Greg's most recent message. He was cooking her supper tonight, which was a real treat considering most days she lived off sandwiches or meals she pulled out of her freezer, a can, or the pre-made food section of the grocery store. She was living in the right century as a woman because her cooking skills were limited. However, she'd thrive in the future when food would appear with a single thought.

"That looks like a Greg smile," Shivanna said.

"Dinner with chef Greg tonight."

Shivanna grinned and sat in their gray armchair. "Is he coming here and planning to share? I like food."

"He likes our kitchen, but this time it's at his place."

"Dang. So, what's on the menu?"

"It's a surprise." As an ungifted cook, she learned to appreciate everything placed on a plate in front of her.

"I wonder if he'll rope his mom into helping him out."

Naomi laughed, picturing Ellen's excited chatter to her son with a hundred and one pieces of advice flowing from her lips. "I wouldn't even be mad. She makes a mean lasagna. We used to devour it at Greg's place when he lived at home."

Shivanna shook her head. "How is it you stay that size, eating what you do?"

"Luck of the draw, or I never stop moving."

"So, what are you going to wear?"

Naomi's first instinct was a pair of yoga pants and a comfy t-shirt like she usually would when they hung out, but Shivanna would shoot that down. She'd dressed up for the bar, but that had crashed and burned? Greg had been more than happy to kiss her in her softball uniform, so perhaps athleisure wasn't the worst style.

"Something cute but not desperate like at the bar."

"You looked hot. I bet Greg and Kieran both thought so."

"I'm trying to keep the dates moving slow enough to build up my nerve to tell him I'm ace, so I can't wear an outfit he'll want to tear off." Naomi sighed and stared at their floral pillows. "I wish it wasn't so hard to tell him. Something else always comes up."

Shivanna chuckled. "You discussed it with Kieran at the bar and the grocery store."

Other than when she'd turned into a sobbing mess, she'd enjoyed running into him and his brother at the store. She doubted he'd consider her emotionally stable enough to train his friend's dog, but his support had been worth it. She was more confident about approaching the conversation with Greg.

"Maybe I'll have some tequila tonight and hope for the best."

"As funny as that is to imagine, you've got to wait until you're ready. If it's too rushed, save it for another night, and just enjoy being with Greg. Otherwise, he'll think he's stressing you out."

"Thanks, Shivanna," Naomi said sarcastically.

"Nomi, you'll be fine. You're both excited about this, so it'll go well."

Naomi hoped her friend was right. Her past relationships didn't have the level of trust she shared with Greg. She couldn't imagine him ending their budding relationship for the reasons her exes had given.

***

Some of those nerves followed her to Greg's place as she texted him she'd arrived. Marc answered the door with a grin and pulled her into a hug.

"Excited for tonight?" he teased, his brown eyes dancing with excitement. "Eleven years in the making."

"It better be worth it," she whispered.