35.1 Triple - (Naomi)

Naomi's heart filled with bliss and sadness as Kieran kissed her at the door. She wished he never had to leave. Notes of the sweet chocolate cake they'd fed each other lingered on her lips despite his retreating footsteps. She leaned against the evening-cooled wooden door frame as he walked to his truck and blew her a last kiss.

"Good night?" Shivanna asked as she waved at Kieran too.

Naomi sighed. "The best."

Kieran jumped in his truck solo as Jake had hitched a ride with Austin earlier. As the motor roared to life, he waved at her again. She bit her lip, recalling the warmth of his arms wrapped around her in her bed. That part of single life had been the most difficult change, especially after sharing that apartment with Luke. 

In the past two years, she'd grown used to being alone, but she wanted more. She longed to fall asleep in Kieran's embrace, to wake up beside him and snuggle her morning away, and to have him place those ticklish kisses on her neck. As the truck drove down the street, her shoulders slumped.

Once Shivanna closed the door, Naomi asked, "Did Louisa enjoy herself?"

Shivanna nodded. "What about Kieran?"

"Yeah, more than I expected."

They returned to the kitchen, where the counters brimmed with cans and glasses of partly drunk liquor, precariously piled plates, and leftover food. Naomi cleared off a counter and wiped it down while Shivanna searched the cupboards.

"You two disappeared for a while." Shivanna studied her with curiosity written on her soft features.

"Yeah, I wanted to do something special for Kieran, but..." Naomi's face fell.

Shivanna set four containers on the counter. "He wasn't a jerk, was he?"

"No, he was so sweet. When it got uncomfortable, he stopped me and said it was fine, that it was normal." The moment still made her eyes prickle in appreciation of his compassion. Naomi wiped away a stray tear. "Can you believe that? Normal?"

Shivanna gave her a side hug that quelled some of the rising emotions in Naomi's chest.

"I've told you that before too."

"But it was different." Naomi put the leftover celery, broccoli and cauliflower in a deep container.

"Because it's someone you very much like or love romantically."

The word love prompted Naomi's lips to twitch into a smile. She and Kieran had been dating for three weeks, which was quite early for these strong feelings. But after tonight, she was both lighter than air and anchored at an incredible island. An island that was hers alone, which offered her tailor-made adventures better than any she'd experienced.

"I adore him, Shivanna."

She smiled and squeezed Naomi's shoulder. "It's great, isn't it?"

"Is that how you feel about Louisa?"

A bag rustled as Shivanna poured a bowl of chips back into its bag with a smile dancing on her lips. "Yes."

"As I was lying in his arms, it almost seemed like love."

Naomi wanted to cling to it like sun-warmed shallow water in a chilly lake, letting it cover every inch of her. Was that normal?

"Am I rushing this? You two have been together longer than Kieran and I."

"Everyone's timelines are different. If I were you, I'd wait to see if more of these I love you bubbles pop up in you before you blurt it out since you just had your heart broken by Greg, but that's up to you."