11.1 - The Hockey Party (Naomi)

Greg was unhelpful about the time Naomi should get to his party. If she showed up too early, she'd appear overeager, but if she arrived too late, their romance would seem like a fling. In the end, she got a ride with Janet, another woman who'd played on the softball team in the past but who'd taken the year off during her maternity leave. If Janet had heard about Naomi and Greg, she didn't mention it and kept the conversation about her three-month-old.

"She's my universe these days. I'm panicking trying to remember if there's enough milk in the fridge or if I made a mistake on the doctor's number I gave my mom." Janet rapped her fingers on the steering wheel.

"It'll go well. Parents have left their kids at home for years, and we turned out fine."

"It's so different when it's your own. I'm going to miss her all night." When they stopped at a red light, Janet checked her phone and smiled at the photo of her daughter on the screen. "Do you want kids?"

Naomi's eyes widened at the dreaded question. She didn't understand the appeal of motherhood. To her, it looked exhausting, and her nephews could get overwhelming with their tantrums. It thrilled her to be ace to decrease her odds of an accidental pregnancy.

Perhaps when she neared the end of her biological baby clock, she'd feel differently, but she couldn't imagine wanting that now. Greg was too focused on his career and financial plan to consider kids. They'd slow down his plan, and that side of him appealed to her. She wasn't sure about after he hit that early retirement age though. It was way too soon to contemplate that conversation.

"It's not on my radar anytime soon."

"My co-workers said it's easier to have them in your twenties when you have more energy than to wait till your thirties."

Naomi said, "I bet it is." Not having them was the easiest option.

After they pulled up to the party, Naomi scurried to the kitchen. She hoped she'd run into Greg there to relive the start of their last date but had no such luck. With the oven already occupied, she tucked the box of wings she'd brought in the freezer, poured herself a drink, and headed into the living room, where the guys played Call of Duty before the hockey game started.

"Nomi!" Ian called out and patted the empty bean bag chair beside him. She would wager that the drink in his hand affected his more positive reception today.

"Hey, Ian. How's it going?"

"I'm great," he drew out the a and grinned like a lazy cat. "You good?"

"Yeah, I'm alright."

"Then you need these." He slid a package of strawberry gummies with weed leaves in the background out of his pocket. "Life is meant to be better than alright."

"Edibles?"

"It's all CBD, so it'll mellow you out with no high. I take them to chill right out between exams and midterms."

That explained why his tune differed so much from the game. While she'd occasionally smoked weed while partying in her late teens and early twenties, she feared what she might do or say around Greg or her teammates on that tonight. "I'll stick to my rum, but thanks."

He smiled. "Let me know if you change your mind."

"Did you come alone?"

"Nope." Ian popped the p and gave her a knowing look.

Tara. And Greg wasn't here to make matters worse. Naomi took another drink of her rum and coke, wishing it was the nice caesar he'd prepared for her on their date. He'd remember how much fun they'd had together, right? Or did the awkwardness of their conversation about taking their relationship slowly linger in his mind?