34.1 - Normal (Kieran)

Kieran stayed with Naomi and Felicity as the latter filled a plate with fried rice, chicken wings, and pierogies at the patio table. Austin had opted to play video games with Jake in the basement, leaving Felicity to mingle here, but she smiled and looked at the crowd like she didn't mind a crowd of strangers or her boyfriend's close friendship. Brinny had disappeared, but Rusty was still playing with Cleo, who'd put him in his place if he nipped too much. 

If Brinny wasn't with him or Naomi, who was she with? Had she wandered off to call Cole?

"I'm going to do a lap and make sure everyone's alright, you okay?" Naomi asked Kieran.

"Yes. Tell me if you see Brinny. I shouldn't have ditched her." He'd assumed she'd stay with Naomi, but she hadn't.

"Of course, but I think she's good."

That grin told Kieran that Naomi knew something she wasn't sharing. So Brinny had hit it off with someone. He hadn't loved how instantly the short, curly-haired guy had fixed his stare on her, but Kieran was also extra protective after he and others had hurt her. If Brinny wanted to flirt, who was he to stop her? Perhaps she'd leave Cole, who was terrible for her.

Naomi reached up and pulled Kieran into a tender kiss. She grinned and whispered, "I have a surprise for you later."

"Ooh?" He raised an eyebrow.

"You'll like it." She winked and strode off as if she hadn't both confused and turned him on.

Felicity approached with a full plate. "You look perplexed."

"She said something quite perplexing."

Felicity laughed. "If you want a second opinion, I love puzzles."

"What does it mean when an asexual person tells you they have a surprise you'll like, and they wink?"

She chuckled and picked up a spring roll. "It sounds like a good thing for you."

"But what kind of good thing? I don't want to look like an asshole for expecting the wrong situation."

She shrugged. "You know her better than I do."

"Is it normal to second guess everything?"

Felicity's cheeks dimpled as she laughed. "You're more successful than you think with this relationship. She seems happy and comfortable. What Austin has shared about you two confirms that too. I suspect that wherever you are intimacy-wise, she may be ready to take a tiny step further."

It was reassuring he wasn't the only one to assume that. But Felicity was allosexual too, so they might be misreading this. Naomi may have gotten him a gift or something else he'd enjoy in a non-sexual way. It was that wink. He exhaled. No sense in fretting. He'd find out later.

"Thanks. Did you want to rejoin the gaming dungeon or this circle fest?"

Felicity chuckled as they were usually the outsiders at game night. "Let's enjoy the great outdoors."

They walked toward Shivanna, Marc, Nimkii and a handful of others he'd only met briefly.

"Kieran, come sit, we'll make space." Shivanna stood from her green lawn chair. 

She and her girlfriend scooted over to leave two open chairs. Kieran searched for his own chair, not trusting those regular folding ones with a only few screws holding the fabric in place. His was sturdy enough to support him and another person.

"Naomi will return in a minute too," Kieran added.

"I'm not sure she'll sit down for that long," Shivanna joked, making Marc laugh as he and Nimkii shifted to allow space for her too.