33.2 - The Potluck (Naomi)

An hour later, guests began to arrive. In the backyard, under the shade of the birch tree, Naomi talked to Shivanna's girlfriend, Louisa, about her law internship and a foodie road trip she and Shivanna had planned for next week. Her excitement mirrored Shivanna's from earlier this week. Naomi was thrilled for them.

Someone grabbed Naomi's shoulders and whispered, "boo," in her ear, which had to be Ian. He'd swept his dark curly hair to one side in that intentionally messy way that appeared styled. His forest green fitted henley t-shirt emphasized his softball-toned arms. Even though she didn't experience physical attraction, she sensed he'd impress a few people.

Nimkii stood alongside Marc, who held a shopping bag decorated with hummingbirds Naomi would bet was Nimkii's.

"Everyone, this is Louisa, Shivanna's girlfriend," Naomi said. The petite woman with curly black hair smiled and waved at them. "Louisa, this is Ian, Nimkii, and Marc. Shivanna and I have known him for ages. He's a high school social studies teacher."

Louisa's face lit up. "You and Vanna attended university together and volunteered at the immigrant and refugee center, right?"

"That seems like a lifetime ago, but that's me, great to meet you."

Louisa grinned and readjusted her jean jacket. "It's a pleasure to meet you all. You didn't see my overworking girlfriend on the way in, did you?"

"She's still in the kitchen," Marc said.

"I'll try to drag her away and hopefully be back soon with Vanna." Louisa took off.

Ian had his hands in his khaki shorts' pockets and rocked back and forth on his toes. "Is the secret boyfriend here yet?"

"He's only a secret from Greg, so he doesn't make my life miserable. Kieran's near the garden with Brinny."

Marc looked at Kieran, who'd kept it casual in dark shorts with a tropical shirt over a t-shirt. It hid his tattoo, but he wore his eyebrow ring, which she liked. "He looks familiar."

"You met him at the party. He fixed your power," Naomi said.

Ian's jaw dropped, and he grinned wider than she had ever seen. "That is the best revenge possible against your douchebag ex."

She crossed her arms, not wanting people to assume she based her decisions on vengeful fantasies. "I didn't plan it. Kieran was there for me when I needed support, and the more time we spent together, the stronger our connection got."

Nimkii smiled. Her long, beautifully braided hair fell over her left shoulder, allowing the warm fire colours of her beaded earrings to stand out. She wrapped an arm around Marc and leaned into his chest in that adorably happy couple way.

"Connection is very important. It's great you found that," she said.

Naomi led them to the food table on the patio, where Nimkii and Marc set a container of homemade bannock and a bowl of Saskatoon jam they'd made with her grandmother this summer. The thick bread looked delicious. Ian had brought a delectable dessert collection of chocolate rugelach and a flourless chocolate cake.

"This is amazing. Thank you." Naomi hugged them all and sneaked a rugelach off the plate. Those chocolate croissants-like pastries were to die for.

"Your mom's outdone herself."

"I baked those."

Naomi tried not to drop her jaw as she'd already taken another bite. "Since when do you bake?"

He shrugged. "She supervised, but it seems you've forgotten I excel at just about everything." His cheeky grin made her want to roll her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, and the rest of us are mere peasants. You ready to meet, Kieran?" She glanced at the trio, who nodded. "And be nice, Ian. I really like him."