25 - Crepes (Naomi)

After failing to find parking near Kieran's condo building, Naomi crossed the river and parked her car on a side street beside the old St. Boniface cathedral. She didn't love the ten-plus minute walk to his place as evening set in, but it was a busy enough path, and this neighbourhood was safer to leave her vehicle.

She dialled Kieran's number, and his friendly greeting made her smile.

"Sorry Kieran, slight problem," she said.

"What's up? Did something happen and you can't make it?"

Was that what he was hoping for? Perhaps he'd had second thoughts about inviting her to meet his friends. Or was he expecting her to bail? Would he rather be out with Brinny?

Breathe Naomi. It's a normal question.

"No, I couldn't find parking, so I'm a whole neighbourhood away in St. B. It'll take longer than I thought."

"How about I pick you up? That's only a couple minute's drive, and I don't want you walking that alone at night."

Although she appreciated his offer, that might not be a solution. "Won't you lose your parking spot?"

"We have underground parking."

"Damn, look at you, Mr. Fancy."

Kieran chuckled, and she pictured the cute smile on his face. "Jake's choice, not mine. Whereabouts are you?"

"Beside the cathedral near the French university."

"Cool, I'll see you in five."

She hoped he wasn't annoyed that her lateness made this extra work. He seemed relaxed during the call, so maybe he didn't mind. She clicked her screen on and off a few times before unlatching her seatbelt and standing outside of her car. As the sun dipped lower on the horizon, the evening breeze refreshed her.

Was tonight a good night to ask Kieran out? She had no desire to ask him in front of everyone. If she tried now and he answered no, it would affect her night. Did she save it until the end and these nerves overrun her body? It was the safest option. She sighed. Why was attraction so nerve-wracking?

Unable to sit still, she walked through the cemetery of the province's Métis founder and many French Catholic settlers to the main path to get a better view of the cathedral. Most of it had burnt down in a fire in the sixties, but the stone front remained topped with a cross and an oval hole in the center. The fading evening light cast a gentle glow on the structure.

The cathedral fire destroyed a lot, but some parts would remain strong enough to survive. It was like their province's founder, Louis Riel. He was hanged for treason against the British in charge of the newly founded Canada, but his legacy of language rights, fighting for the Métis and his role in creating their province made more people consider him a fighter for human rights than a guilty man today.

Figuring Kieran would be a little longer, she strolled toward the river, passing through the iron gates, crossing the street, and making it to the walking path along the riverbank. Across the Red River, the Human Rights Museum's glass exterior reflected the evening sky with the city skyscrapers intermixed. She'd always found it comforting to be near the water, and it was also tonight too. The white spire of the Esplanade Riel pedestrian bridge caught the sunset colours.

A couple walked past her hand in hand as the man whispered in his partner's ear. She and Greg used to bike to this spot from his place. They'd walk across the river together, explore the Forks markets, and stroll the Assiniboine River path. One of the city's free gems, especially if you brought snacks and didn't pay for fuel, he'd like to say. She'd break their free pact from time to time and treat them to ice cream. He would but a lot less frequently than she did. She'd naively thought one day they'd stop on the bridge and, under the gentle glow of its lights, share a kiss.