11.2 - The Hockey Party (Naomi)

It only took a few minutes before the power returned everywhere but the kitchen and living room, which didn't impress their teammates or Greg's friends sitting on the couches.

Marc wandered into the living room from the basement. "Don't worry, we called an electrician, and he's coming soon."

"How soon?" a teammate asked.

"He'll be here within an hour or two."

Several people grumbled as the puck drop was in thirty minutes.

Marc raised his hands in front of his chest. "I know, but worse comes to worst, we'll drag the TV to another room and make the best of it, alright? The pig roast is on propane, so we'll still have some kick ass grub, capeesh?"

The crowd mumbled their agreement, and a few left for the backyard.

"Nomi, can you help me transfer food from the oven to the barbeque?" Marc asked.

She smiled at the welcome distraction. "That's a cooking task I was born to fulfil."

He laughed as they entered the kitchen together. It was the time of year when daylight lasted well into the evening, so the windows gave them decent visibility.

"You find Greg alright?"

The question reignited her anxiety about almost confessing and Tara's anger. She tried to calm it by swallowing. "Yeah, but I wasn't the only one looking for him."

"Who, Tara?" he asked casually.

Why had Marc mentioned her name so quickly? Naomi shook it off and nodded. "She came to his room right after he left to check on the power. Do she and Greg still..."

Naomi's stomach twisted at the possibility. She was about to bare her soul, and he could be... she dismissed the thought. He had never been a cheater, but were they an exclusive couple yet? What did he consider permissible with other women?

"She hasn't been by the house since she picked up her stuff after they split. Before you and Greg got together." Marc smiled at her sincerely. "But given that she showed up tonight, I suspect she wanted to talk to him."

"Do you think I should be worried?" Would her asexuality be the push he'd need to run back into his ex's arms? Tara was by his room for a reason, likely because she wasn't over him. Based on Naomi and Greg's supper date and the softball game, he still had feelings for Tara.

"He's been into you longer than you've been friends. I can't see him risking a future with you for anything." Marc's words served as her bunker during this tornado.

"Thanks, Marc." She gave him a quick hug that eased some of the anxiety Tara had caused. With how optimistic and no-nonsense he was, Naomi understood why of their trio, he was in a stable relationship while she and Greg floundered. 

Once she and Marc had the shrimp on a tray heading to the barbeque and the mozza sticks on a plate for the grumpy crew, they returned to the living room. 

"That's what I'm talking about!" Greg's redheaded co-worker with a face to match grinned at her. "Naomi to the rescue." 

She slid the plate onto the coffee table. "It was Marc, but the sentiment is appreciated." 

"Nomi." Greg patted a tiny bit of space next to him on the armchair. 

She obliged him by perching herself partly on the chair and draping her long legs over his. He drew her into a tender kiss. Unlike many people, Naomi didn't mind PDA with her partners, outside of the softball field. There was an element of safety to it where witnesses kept it from getting too intense.