13 - Confession (Naomi)

The spring sun warmed Naomi's face as she stared at the cerulean sky streaked with wisps of cloud. The coarse fibres of the blanket tickled her bare arms. She had hoped she'd hear from Kieran after the party, but he hadn't sent a single text.

It wasn't that she wanted his friend's business, more that she didn't like how they'd left their conversation on Friday. She'd been drinking, and Greg had acted like a dick again. Not that her and Kieran's friendship had formed beyond a couple of close conversations, but she liked the guy. He was sweet, honest, and funny. Perhaps he preferred to avoid her after last weekend, and she didn't blame him.

"You seem down." Shivanna lay on the blanket next to Naomi. "Thinking about Greg?"

"No." Other than their disagreement at the party, she and Greg were solid.

"What's on your mind?"

Cleo's collar jingled as she explored the backyard, sniffing through the bushes along the fence.

"Kieran."

Shivanna propped herself on her elbow and said, "Oh?" with a rising, interested tone.

"He was at that party, and he and Greg got off on the wrong foot. I was hoping he'd message me, so I could apologize."

"Nomi, you don't have to apologize for Greg. That's his responsibility."

"Kieran's a good guy." Her heart sank at the idea of him being cast aside both in his work and personal life because he'd always made her feel seen and accepted.

"I have his brother's app on my phone. Jake seemed hands-on enough that he's probably the one who checks the support messages."

Jake's presence put Naomi at ease. After greeting them at the grocery store, he'd noticed and complimented Shivanna's pride pin. Plus, he'd talked to Kieran about asexuality, which made her think he identified somewhere in the 2SLGBTQ+ community or was a strong ally. He would help her contact Kieran if she asked, but that seemed invasive if Kieran could reach out and didn't.

"Are you nervous about tonight with Greg?"

"Definitely."

It had been a week since that party, and she'd invited him over to talk about her asexuality. She had waited until the weekend, so he'd be more relaxed and take it better.

Shivanna squeezed Naomi's hand. "It's easier to find out now than later."

Shivanna had endured college break-ups with women who'd decided being with another woman was a passing phase, so she understood the sting of rejection for something she had no control over.

Naomi would be more upfront with Greg than she had been with Luke, so she and Greg both wouldn't get filled with false hope. She had enough experience to know her comfortable limits.

Greg had to like her enough that it wouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle, right? He'd said slow was them, but asexuality wasn't the same as slow. More than anything, she longed to be the woman Greg needed and wanted, but some limits she couldn't push through, regardless of how much she loved someone.

"I'm here for you no matter what happens." Shivanna pulled Naomi into a cozy hug.

"Thanks, Shivanna. I owe you."

"Friends don't keep score."

Naomi smiled because it reminded her of Kieran's words last week. She didn't recall Greg saying anything similar. However, he'd supported her more times than she could count and never held that over her head.

They broke away from the embrace. "You got plans tonight?"

"Going out with Louisa." Shivanna drawled her name with a broad grin.