37 - Nomes (Naomi)

Naomi hurried to Kieran's blue truck with her weekend hiking bag over one shoulder and a tent in the other hand. She tossed both in the box, and he hopped out to help her load the rest of her belongings. In Gimli, they'd be sharing a tent and separate sleeping bags, but they'd wake up next to each other, which had butterflies dancing in Naomi's stomach. She wasn't worried about his expectations but was looking forward to cuddling all morning until her nephews invaded the backyard.

It wasn't your ordinary camping trip, but she'd held the tradition for ages with first her sister then her friends. They'd sleep outside every Icelandic Festival weekend. Back then, their grandparents had owned the house, and it was too crowded for all the families to have rooms inside. Then they would brave the crowds to catch the reenactment battles, check out the Viking Village, and challenge the Islendingadunk, where one opponent knocked the other into chilly Lake Winnipeg.

As Kieran loaded the camp chairs and the bag of pillows, he grinned at her. "Are you excited?"

She nodded with a grin to match his. She couldn't wait to share all of these experiences with him.

"I can't remember the last time I slept in a tent. Brinny and Jake aren't campers."

Naomi tried to ignore how much more often Brinny's name came up in conversation lately. "Shivanna and I go out every year, so you're in expert hands. Plus, we'll be about twenty feet from the house, so we're not quite roughing it."

Naomi tucked a few shopping bags full of snacks and a cooler behind her passenger seat as he put the cover on the box. She sat in the truck and drummed her fingers on her leg as he hopped in beside her.

"Thanks for spending your long weekend with me and my family," she said.

"A fun getaway with my incredible girlfriend or a weekend without her. A real hard choice."

Naomi laughed, and Kieran's eyes darted to her lips. He rarely initiated kisses, but she sensed when he wanted to. She leaned over and captured his soft lips with hers. After a month, their kisses weren't always as intense as in the beginning. Yet Kieran remained as happy and supportive as ever. When she lingered on his lips, he threaded his fingers through her hair and kissed her more deeply, making her stomach somersault.

The hour-long drive flew by as they sang, and he shoulder-shimmied to a road trip playlist she'd created. He held the wheel with his left hand and clenched the other in front of his chest dramatically as he serenaded her with the end of 'These Eyes'. She fought not to burst into laughter.

The next song was more upbeat and catchy, prompting Naomi to sway along with a smile. This was so easy, relaxed, and happy. Was this what it was like to find the right person?

He reached over and swatted at her ponytail. "You're adorable when you dance."

She frowned and stilled, even if her cheeks grew warm. "Eyes on the road and hands on the wheel."

"Have you driven in Manitoba before? It's completely flat, and the only thing stopping me from seeing the end of this street is the horizon."

"Okay, Mr. Life is Better in Ontario."

He chuckled. "It's not so bad here. I've got you."

"You should quit your day job and write Hallmark cards. Dearest significant other, after much consideration, I've determined that you are, in fact, not so bad."

Kieran laughed. "I didn't realize Hallmark cards were meant to be read in terribly butchered British accents. I've been doing it wrong my entire life." He put an arm around her shoulder. "And you are the best part of moving here. I wouldn't trade this for anything."