20 - Batting Cages (Kieran)

As Kieran walked to his truck, he wondered if this was a mistake. The taunts and laughs from school gym class stuck with him. 'You call that a push-up?' 'You can't expect him to play on our team' or his all-time favourite of 'Check out that fat-ass try to run.'

He couldn't imagine a thought like that rolling through Naomi's head or past her lips, but people surprised you. He'd grown up having plenty of crushes who seemed sweet and friendly until he raised the prospect of romance. Then he was shocking and irrational to consider someone might want to date him.

His phone buzzed with a text from Naomi and a photo of a bunch of sugary snacks.

Naomi: Still on for tonight? PS, this is only a bribe if you want it to be.

Was she different? They grew closer each time they spoke, and he'd never had a friend crave his physical touch as much as she did. Their words bordered on romantic, and she always seemed to encourage his flirting, but she was also in a very vulnerable place. Jake was right. The safest option was to remain friends.

Naomi: Please?

She sent a picture of a koala with wide, pleading eyes. The warmth of her embrace built anticipation in his chest.

Kieran: I am a sucker for Starburst.

Naomi: Noted. Thanks for coming. I really need a day like today.

Kieran: Anytime.

When he arrived at the batting cages, Naomi's car was already there, and she leaned against it. She'd crossed her long legs at her ankles and wore loose-fitting black shorts that exposed most of her thighs. She drew the attention of other passersby. Although her t-shirt hung loosely, it still flattered her thin figure. She smiled as he pulled into a spot beside her.

He grabbed a couple of sports drinks from the passenger side and a ball cap his dad had picked up from a Habs game years ago.

As he stepped out of the truck, she chuckled. "You're a brave man wearing another team's logo after the Jets' defeat last week."

"We placed worse than they did." He held the sports drinks out. "As Jake would say, which colour of food dye, sugar and chemical-filled beverage would you prefer?"

She laughed. "I like the orange ones. It reminds me of those Terry Fox runs or sporting events with that free McDonald's drink from our childhoods."

He handed it over. "It was the best part of those days." His memories were less pleasant than hers, he imagined, as kids loved to mock the kid who couldn't keep the pace of the rest even at a charity event. But perhaps today would undo some of that.

"Thank you."

She tucked the drink in her sports bag and leaned into the car to grab a bat. He tried not to stare at her butt but failed. That had to be taboo with ace people, and it didn't help his plan to keep this a friendship.

"Are we supposed to bring our own bat?" he asked to cover up his embarrassment.

"No, they have plenty. It's the one I use during our games, and it helps to practice with it."

Her shoulders slumped after she mentioned the game, and he sensed her ex was behind that.

"Everything okay?"

She forced a smile. "As good as it'll get."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, let's go hit things as hard as we can." She grabbed her sports bag and locked her car. He'd have to remember not to piss her off with the flex of her biceps. When they arrived at the concession, she handed them a twenty and got a handful of coupons and change. "A hundred pitches."