xxi. planet of the apes

Rowan sat on the Bioship, watching the ocean beneath her. Are The Gods watching her now? Are they proud of her? Proud of who's she become?

She could feel Conner and Dick's stare on her, but she found no energy to try to amuse themselves by talking. The silence was odd on the ship. 

The bottom of the Bioship opened up, allowing Artemis and Robin to fall to the ground, scoping the place out. The rest stepped out when they landed. Rowan could smell the dew of the plants surrounding her, the humidity already making her sweat.

"All clear," Robin informed.

Aqualad began to speak, "Switch to stealth and we'll review mission parameters."

"Parameters? We don't need no stinkin' parameters."

"It's recon. We know what to do."

The Atlantian began to plead, "Kid, Robin-"

"The four of us started this team because the Justice League was keeping secrets from us." Rowan glared at Robin, trying to make him look at her. That was a dirty move and he knew it.

"Or, did you forget that like you forgot to tell us about the mole?"

Rowan was about to speak but held herself back. Sure, Superboy's words were reassuring, but do they think she was The Mole like Aqualad did?

Robin finally looked at Rogue, "You coming, Rogue? Or, do you want to stay with the liar?"

The brunette knew she told herself to stay silent, but she was slowly growing tired of the pettiness, "He never lied. Plus, shouldn't we actually get orders from our leader?"

Robin scowled at the girl, "Did you know about The Mole?" That made everyone stare at her, not helping her already racing thoughts.

"Excuse me?"

KF spoke up this time, "Yea, we saw you and him talking after we all left. You guys are trying to make up another secret to not tell us?"

Rowan wanted to laugh at their stupidity, "Are you guy's fucking kidding me?"

"Better yet, what if she was The Mole and Aqualad knew about it?" 

Robin looked at his best friend with a frown, "She's not The Mole." The two stared at each other as if they were having a conversation with their eyes, "We're leaving. It's simple recon, we got it covered."

As they left, the others stayed silent until Superboy spoke up, "Come on. I'll keep you safe." He grabbed M'gann's arm, but she just shrugged it off. It looked like they were using telepathy to keep the fight silent.

"I just wanted to protect you."

Artemis walked up, "As Aqualad protected us? I'm not sure your protection or your patronizing is good for our health." With that, they walked away, leaving only four.

Suddenly, Superboy started to yell at Aqualad, "Why didn't you stop them? You're supposed to be in charge." But, without even waiting to hear a response, he used his strength to jump away.

Rowan realized it was only her and the two leaders, causing her to feel eerily aware of how dark it was outside. She always preferred the darkness, always letting it envelop her being.

So, Rogue let herself drift away from the duo, finding something to occupy her time with. 

As she walked, all she could hear were crickets and some birds chirping. It was anything but calm, as she was struck with paranoia. As she kept glancing behind her back, she heard a quiet growl from the bushes. Her head snapped to the figure that pounced at her.