xxxvi. same old roy

Rowan bit her nails as she stood next to Batman and Red Tornado. They gave her weird vibes at the moment.

"At least we know none of us is the mole." Her head perked up at the sound of KF's voice. The rest of the team was with him, walking toward the three.

Batman looked up, "That's correct." He typed into his holographic computer and a screen popped open, "The mole was Red Arrow."

"Roy?"
"No way!"

Rowan clenched her jaw and looked down. She heard the news from the two League members earlier. And, honestly? She didn't know what to think.

Aqualad shook his head, "Batman, that cannot be. He was Green Arrow's protege. We have all known him for years."

Red Tornado spoke up, "Unfortunately, the Roy Harper we have known for the last three years is another 'Project Cadmus' clone."

"We've learned the real Speedy was abducted and replaced immediately after becoming Green Arrow's sidekick. The clone was pre-programmed with a drive to join the Justice League." Batman paused, "Which is why he was so angry over any delays to his admission and why he refused to join the Team."

Rowan zoned out from the conversation. Sure, she cared about Roy, of course, she does. But, at the very moment, he's not what worried her. 

She was leaving in four days. Four fucking days. Rowan will be dead in four days and the only person on the team who knows is Conner. 

Oh, gods. She was going to die. This was it. No more motherly talks from Canary. No more advice from Alfred. No more stupid arguments with Conner. No more deep conversations with Kaldur. No more pranks with Wally. No more hugs from M'gann. No more talking shit with Artemis. No more Robin. 

If she ever comes back, Rowan will never forgive herself. She'd rather die than see them again if she ever survives Olympus.

Conner's voice brought her back, "If you guys hadn't rescued me from Cadmus—"

"Shut the fuck up." The girl turned around to meet eyes with the boy, "Don't ever talk like that. We rescued you, okay? End of story."

Everyone looked at her, silently wondering what was going through her head. They all could see she was on edge about something. The team just assumed it was Roy, but Conner knew. He knew that she was scared.

Robin looked away from his girlfriend, "What-what happened to the real Roy?"

"We don't know. He isn't at Cadmus." He spoke with no emotion as always, "We have to face the realization that the real Roy Harper is dead."

Rowan looked at Robin to see his painful expression, so she grabbed his hand. He squeezed her hand in response, silently thanking her.

"The clone Roy. The team will find him."

Batman immediately stopped the plan, "Negative. Red Arrow's a member of the Justice League now. Leave him to us."

Rowan rolled her eyes at the man, "So, you could mess up again? Even if that's a clone, that's the Roy we know. We want to help."

The man turned back around to face the girl, "Negative. Red Arrow's a member of the Justice League now. Leave him to us." He looked at the robot, "Take care of the kids." With that, he left them with Tornado.