xxxvii. no goodbye

Rowan stood on the beach, watching the waves crash against the shore.

Today was the day.

The moon reflected off the waves, causing an eery feeling to grow in the pit of her stomach. 

"You ready, Rowan?" 

Her father stood by the deck with the wooden planks falling off. His little puppy, August, stood behind him with a solemn expression. He was too much of a pussy to even look at her.

She heard voices to her left to see three people walk toward her. When they finally reached her, Canary crushed her in a hug.

"I love you so much and I'm so sorry." She pulled away with tears in her eyes, "My sweet girl. Make it back, okay? I know you can, Row. You're a survivor."

Rowan nodded, even if she knew she wouldn't come back, "You're my mother, Canary, okay? Please, please grow old with Oliver and become a millionaire. Maybe have a kid, but she better be named after me, okay?"

Canary laughed, brushing away some of her tears.

Rowan faced the next person. Roy gave her a weak smile but didn't look like he was going to say anything.

The girl laughed and pulled him into a hug, "C'mon, man-child. Stay safe." She pulled away and moved his hair away from his teary eyes, "Remember what I said, Roy. Don't blame yourself for what happened."

Roy shook his head with a small chuckle, "You're being sent to die and you're worried about me?"

"You can't make an already dead person feel better about death, Roy." She hugged him once again, "Stay with Jade. She's good for you." Rowan paused, "Take care of a Lola White for me while I'm away, okay? I only trust you with her and she reminds me of Oliver a little." She looked into his eyes, "I'll miss you, big brother."

"I'll miss you too, little sister."

Rowan chuckled as tears gathered in her eyes, "That was the corniest shit ever."

Finally, the girl faced Superboy who stood with an unreadable face. Before she could do anything, he wrapped his arms around her. Rowan didn't hesitate to do the same.

The girl couldn't help, but sob in his arms, "Make sure they're safe, okay?"

Conner nodded, "I'm so sorry I couldn't save you."

Rowan shook her head and pulled away. Her hands held his face, "It's all right," She gave him a small smile, "Saving me was never your job anyway."

The boy pulled her in again, silently crying into her shoulder. Rowan sniffled, "You're my best friend, Conner. Please stay safe for me, promise?"

They pulled away finally, "Promise."

More voices sounded from behind them. A group of five people walked forward with teary eyes. It was the infamous crime family, The Reeds.

They all came toward the deck. The little girl seemed closed in as she was scared.

Rowan smiled back at the three with tears in her eyes, "Guess this is time." She watched as Canary began to break down, "Take care of yourselves, okay? I love you guys." She turned back around to see her father glaring at her, "See you on the flip side?"

Conner and Roy nodded, "See you when you come back."

A tear fell down her cheek. She looked down to wipe it away, "A quote from my favorite movie, 'See you later, gay boys.'" After hearing their laughs, she turned around, hiding the tears.

Rowan walked toward the family, nodding toward Blair who gave her a teary smile back. She looked down at the little girl and kneeled, "You must be Valerie, right?"

The said girl sniffled, "Yea."

"I'm Rowan and I'm going to protect you, promise."

Valerie looked up, "Promise?"

"Promise."

Dick woke up that day in the cave with an odd feeling in his chest. It was as if he could feel something went wrong.

He groggily stretched and stood up, walking toward his dresser. He didn't see it at first as his dresser was full of random papers and weapons.

Dick

The boy furrowed his eyebrows and instantly recognized it to be Rowan's handwriting. He opened the letter,

Dear Dick,

If you're reading this, I'm gone.

The boy's lips parted at the words.

I'm writing this to explain to you what happened. My father, Cain Blake, made a deal with a god in order to have my mother, Annie Blake, fall in love with him.

Robin ran to her room, finding it to be clean with her nowhere to be found.

The deal was to have his first child to be sent up to Olympus. At first, Kennedy was supposed to leave, but as you know, that didn't go as planned. 

On her walls were just pieces of artwork from Tim, a few poems from Jason, and pictures of the team and her.

So, I was trained to the point of death by my father. He punished me for being born and it made me hate the world. My mother died from an overdose, even though I'm guessing my father murdered her. But, I hated the world for putting me through this. Why me? Why couldn't it be someone else? But, then I realized I wouldn't want to have anyone go through the same thing as I did.

Robin ran to the center of the case, screaming her name. Rowan had to be in the cave. She had to be here.

You made me realize that I didn't hate the world, Dick. I just hated the way I was treated. You made me who I am today and I admire you for it. 

Robin began to run back to her room, looking for any clues. Rowan couldn't be gone. She was just here in his arms.

And, I'm so sorry for letting you love me. I was selfish and I hate myself for it. I just couldn't let you go. You are my anchor, Dick. You have me. Until every star in the galaxy dies, you have me.

The boy sprinted back to his room, pulling at his hair. No, no, no, no, no, no.

Remember that one mission where we all lost our memories? I had almost killed everyone and you just stood there, trying to talk me out of it like a dumbass. I still think about how you still were my best friend even after everything, birdbrains. 

Robin sat on his bed, tears forming in his eyes. He clenched the piece of paper and read the words over and over again, just hoping this was some sort of sick joke.

On that mission, you said four words that are still ingrained in my mind. 'I am your family.' You said that to me and that's what caused me to love you. I never considered anyone my family after everything, but you still had a hold on me. 

Dick screamed in his room, knocking everything off his dresser. He was in a fit of rage over the girl. How could she just leave and not tell him?

You are my family, Dick Grayson. I will forever love you. Even when you hate me and wish death upon me, I will always love you until my last breath. 

Forever yours,
          Rowan Blake