liii. dead girl walking

Dick sat in a room with all-white walls and medical supplies.

When he heard the news, he was at the manor getting some advice from Alfred. These past few years had been rough for him and the butler had always been there in time of need. 

At first, when he got the call, he didn't feel his body, it was like everything went numb. It was as if the oxygen was sucked out of the room. Dick couldn't feel the phone dropping to the floor or how his legs immediately went to his motorcycle and sped through the city. He didn't feel anything as he rushed into the cave, calling out her name.

Until he saw her. 

Many people say they feel as if they died if they ever saw a loved one's body, limp on a bed. They talked about how they fell to their knees, feeling the need for the Earth to swallow them whole. But, Dick just felt as if he was drowning. The Earth never swallowed him as some others might think, but instead, the ocean accepted him. The oxygen disappeared and his lungs were instead filled with salty water. Nothing inside of him could change the way that he was drowning.

"Dick—" Conner walked toward him, but the black-haired boy just stepped back, his eyes never leaving her body. Superboy sniffed and looked away, "We-we don't know how this happened. I was flying over and I heard some screams. I—" A sob racked through his body, causing M'gann to immediately go to his side, "Oh god, they were terrible. When I finally made it there, she-she was gone."

The water didn't allow Dick to hear anymore as he stepped closer to her pale body. Nobody paid any mind to him as he gently grabbed her bloody hand. 

Robin lost his Rogue again.

Once Dick's eyes finally left her, he looked around. Wally was hugging a sobbing Artemis with tears in his eyes. M'gann held Conner's hand as he stared at the ground. Rocket was muttering something to Kaldur and Topaz rested her head on Flicker's shoulder. 

Then, there was Thor. Dick had never seen him so silent as he watched her body. Nightwing knew he was in denial, it was written all over his face. So, with everything in him, Dick walked over to the boy who sat by her bed. He knew Rowan would've hated him if he allowed Thor to grieve alone. She probably would've knocked some sense into him, then later on into the night, bring him outside to see the stars, talking about stupid he was. That little thought brought a small smile to his lips.

"C'mon," Dick nudged the younger boy. Thor immediately shook his head, "Thor."

The blonde boy stood up in anger, not caring how tears gathered in his eyes, "Shut up!" Everyone stared at the boy with saddened eyes, "Rowan's my sister, alright? I won't leave her, even if it kills me."

Dick swallowed back his anger and frustration, "She wouldn't want this—"

"You don't know what she wants! I knew her for four years and you didn't even know her for a year." His tears finally fell from his eyes, coating his cheeks, "She's my family."

"Thor, she's our family—"

"No!" A sob tumbled out of his lips, "She protected me from everyone and I-I couldn't even save her. She deserves to live." He fell to his knees in a big heap of cries, "She deserves to live."

Dick fell beside him, hugging the grieving boy to his chest, "It's gonna be okay. Shhh, I got you." 

Nightwing sat by her bed that night, staring at the plain-white walls. Nobody knew what to do with her body, so they just left her and covered her with a white sheet.