xli. new trainer

Rowan woke up to a leg across her chest. She opened her eyes fully to see it was Thor sleeping.

The girl slowly stood up, careful to not wake up the sleeping boy. Rowan looked around the room to find it was simple and bland. For some odd reason, she was expecting her old room from four years ago.

Rowan tiptoed to the connecting bathroom and closed the door. She leaned her hands on the counter and looked into the mirror. The girl's face was pale and sunken in, her cheekbones visible. Her hair was knotty and greasy since it's been a hot minute since she last showered.

The girl took off her shirt and looked down at the bandages on her side. It was all bloody and she knew she had to change it, but didn't have the motivation to. Back on Olympus, it didn't matter if you could see your organs, as long as you were breathing, you were fine to fight again.

Rowan looked down at all the scars and bruises across her stomach and chest. It was almost horrific to see what her body has become; a pig who survived a slaughter. 

She turned on the water of the shower and got fully undressed. Once the water began to flow down her body, her heart started to beat slower. It was a muscle relaxer. The water burned her body, but Rowan didn't seem to care. It meant she could still feel pain even after everything.

But, even as she scrubbed and scrubbed, she could still feel the blood and dirt that was on her skin. Rowan could feel their arms grabbing at her body and the knives that were once stuck inside her. No matter how much she scrubbed, Rowan could never feel any different.

The girl hopped out and put a towel around her body. She dried herself and put on some of the clothes she found. It was just black leggings and a long-sleeved shirt. Rowan almost put on her old clothes as she found more comfort in them, but decided against it as they were all bloody and cut.

"Row, you almost done?" Thor pounded on the bathroom door, "You take as long as Aphrodite once she sees a mirror."

The said girl walked out, steam following her out of the door, "Says you with your need to 'perfect' your hair."

"Hey, it's a lifestyle!" Thor shoved her playfully, eliciting a laugh from the girl. Rowan probably only feels safe around the boy as he's been with her through everything.

"Okay, bud." She walked over to the bed and began to make it as he went to the bathroom. Once he came out, he sat on top of the bed, ruining it, "How did you end up in my bed last night?" Rowan vividly remembers hearing Thor banging on the wall, not allowing her to fall asleep.

"Protect you from the enemies." Rowan gave him a deadpanned face, causing the boy to sigh, "Fine, I couldn't sleep."

The girl sat next to the boy, staring straight ahead, "Why not?"

It took him a few moments to finally say something, "I have these nightmares of Val." Rowan stayed silent, knowing she had them too. 

"I understand. You can sleep in here whenever you want."

Thor gave her a big smile, "Thanks, Row." He paused and lightly pushed her, "Tell me more of these people that we're staying with."

She racked her brain, trying to think of how they used to be, "Wally, the redhead, was always a flirt and a troublemaker. He was pretty funny, but if I ever told him that, his ego would shoot through the roof."