𓄂Chapter 28 | Spelldrive?𓄂

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Hey, Headmage, what's the deal? What does fightin' ghosts got to do with blot?" Grim frowned as he looked up at the Headmage. Y/N was holding Yuu, who had gotten tired of standing.

"Direct your attention to the magestone on your collar, Mr. Grim." Crowley pointed a clawed finger to the grey beasts collar. Curious, Grim looked down, holding the magestone in his paw.

"Myah?! My magestone looks all grungy now." Grim desperately rubbed the stone with the back of his paw. "MYAH?! It won't rub off!"

"Precisely. That inky black stain is the byproduct of spellcasting know as 'blot.'" Y/N's eyes wandered over to the magic pens of the Heartslabyul freshmen after the Headmages's quick explanation. Yuu just sighed, his eyelids drooping as he became drowsy.

"There's some grime on my magical pen, too!" Deuce said, taken aback as he rubbed at the dark spot on his magestone. Ace frowned, inspecting his own blotted pen.

"Ewww! This is capital-G Gross!" Grim complained.

"Is there some way to get rid of it? Or will it come off on its own?" Y/N inquired, shifting the now-sleeping Yuu in his arms.

"Of course, there is a way to get rid of it." Crowley nodded as he crossed his arms.

"Like some kinds special soap or somethin'?" The grey beast tilted his head.

"If that was the case, I don't think Little Strawberry would have overblotted." Y/N butted in, nudging Grim with the tip of his shoe.

"With sufficient rest, blot will vanish from your magestone. This is why a magestone is so valuable to magic users." Crowley smiled. "Not only does it aid your casting, it also serve as a lightning rod of sorts, to prevent blot from accumulating within the caster."

"I see. So when our magestones start to get cloudy, that means it's time for us to ease off." Deuce summarized to himself.

"Correct. Eat well and get plenty if sleep, and most of the blot will clear away." The Headmage confirmed. Ace huffed a laugh.

"Thats surprisingly simple." He glanced over to Yuu, who was still sleeping away in Y/N's arms. "We just gotta copy Yuu."

"Gotcha. So when I become an even greater mage, I'll be able to fire off spells left and right! Pa-PEW!" Grim raised his paws childishly. "After all, I do plenty of sleepin' and eatin'."

"People vary greatly in their capacity for magic," Crowley placed his hands on his hips. "However, save for a few key exceptions, there is little variance in most mages' tolerance for blot."

"What's that mean?" Grim asked. Deuce walked over to Y/N, offering to carry the sleeping Yuu. Ace, seeing Y/N hesitating, went over and made small talk to convince the man.

"In essence, it means that those who possess a great capacity for magic must be meticulous in their effects to avoid accumulating blot. Like Mr. Rosehearts, for instance." Crowley explained with an example.