Chapter 8. Twin Flames

Audrey's POV

Leaving the café, I felt as if I was walking on air. I couldn't stop the warm tingly feeling that consumed my body in waves as my heartbeat pounded in my ears louder than a sledgehammer.

It had been two weeks since I met the redhead barista. Each time I drove by the café on my way from the gym, the overwhelming urge to rush inside would devour me from the inside. However, that brief connection from our first and last meeting had brought forth a tidal wave of emotions which were too much for me to handle.

I didn't exactly love Andrew anymore, but he was still my boyfriend; being engulfed with these feelings for another woman felt the same as cheating. So, to continue to walk inside that cafe and interact with her was something that felt both right and wrong at the same time.

But the temptation was excruciatingly difficult to ignore. Until today, when I finally gathered up the will and courage to face the risk.

The entire drive home, I was joyously smiling as I recalled every single moment that happened in the café today. Each time Scarlett's beautiful face appeared in my mind, I felt my heartbeat increase its rhythm, the thumping sound so loud that it deafened the world around me. The last time I've ever felt that way was with Julia. That feeling was so strong, it felt similar to a drug addict tasting drugs again after a long period of time.

As I was approaching the apartment which I shared with my idiot boyfriend Andrew, my joy faded abruptly and was replaced with guilt. Even though technically I haven't cheated on him, it felt as if I did. And even though I i didn't care for him, especially for the way he treated me just a short while ago, my moral values prevented me from not giving a fuck. After all, doesn't emotional involvement with another person count as cheating too, even if nothing sexual occurred?

I realized that it wasn't Andrew's feelings that I was concerned about. My moral values are what's important to me, and having even the slightest feelings towards another person contradicts them.

On the other hand, it's not as if anything actually happened, right? She probably didn't even feel the same way about me, so why should I feel any sort of penitence? For all I know, she might be a straight woman who wouldn't want anything to do with me if she found out that I'm bisexual.

As I pulled into the driveway, I decided to call my best friend, Vivian. I needed to talk to someone about my conflicting thoughts, and she has been my trusty confidant since day one.

"Hey, Audrey!" She exclaimed as she answered the phone on the second ring.

"Hey, Viv! Do you have a minute?" I asked as I turned off the engine.

I stayed in my car as I was in no hurry to enter my boyfriend's apartment. His car was parked a few feet away, indicating that he was already inside. I would be a complete birdbrain to have this conversation inside with Andrew there.

"Yeah... Wait, what's wrong?" She sounded worried.

"I think I might be... cheating on Andrew," I stuttered nervously.

"Oh. My. God!" She squealed excitedly.

"Okay, calm down," I warmed. "I didn't mean it like that. Remember that barista I told you about? I think I might have... feelings for her."

"What? Are you crazy?" Vivian reprimanded. "That is so far from cheating! Plus, I think you deserve to actually feel something rather than tolerate that stinking farthead!"

"I mean..." I hesitated.

"Jeez, you need real connection with a person. Not some obligated feelings, which you don't deserve to have. This will be good for you! And keep him out of your love life."

"He is my love life," I pointed out.

"Okay, keep him out of your second love life then," she huffed. I knew she was rolling her eyes.

"Well, thanks for the pep talk I guess. Andrew is probably wondering why I'm still sitting in my car, so I have to go."

"Okay, love you. Just promise me you won't make any stupid decisions?"

"Mhm... Bye Viv," I responded as I hung up.

I decided that I won't inform Andrew about what happened. Why should he be made aware of everything that happened in my life? I deserved to keep a few things private.
Besides, what chance is there that he would even discover or suspect anything? He didn't even know that I was bisexual and had an entire girlfriend several years ago.

There was absolutely no reason for him to know. Besides, he would only become angry, and I didn't want that. And I knew that he was capable of that. Especially after what happened the last time he lost control in a fit of anger.