Chapter 12. You got a little chocolate there

Audrey's POV

I walked towards the bathrooms and entered the women's section. The pastel-gray walls with faint black and golden lines and spotless granite sink were indications of just how expensive this place was. Sure, Andrew took me to five-star restaurants, but the question of how Scarlett could afford to go here, and as a regular, still stuck in my mind. After all, how much does a barista earn?

“Hey Andrew… what's up?” I finally answered the phone that had been ringing incessantly.

“Hey, baby. Just checking in to see how you're doing,” his deep voice gently replied.

“I'm doing great. Just uh… out with a friend.” I knew he would ask what I was doing anyway, so why not stay one step ahead.

“Oh… a… friend?” he asked, his voice taking on a dark tone. The sound sent shivers down my spine, but I managed to stay firm. “Do I know this… friend?”

I quickly thought about what to say. I knew that each word could mean life or death. Perhaps I was overthinking, as I always do, but I knew that I had to be careful. A single misstep could have me stepping onto a glass shard.

“Yeah, I think you met her at your business party a few weeks ago,” I finally replied casually. “Jane?”

“Oh, her,” he said in a relieved and lighter tone.

“Yes…” I lightly chuckled.

“Sorry, I thought for a moment that–”

“That I was cheating on you?” I interrupted. “You know I would never do that to you.”

“Yeah, I'm so sorry baby. It's just been so stressful over here with the meetings and matters. And relieving that stress isn't easy without you. If you know what I mean,” he added the last part with his husky voice that he knew I loved.

All of a sudden, I felt a feeling of guilt creeping up. I'm not a cheater. I swore that I would never do that to someone. But as Vivian said, I'm not really cheating, am I? It's just dinner… right?

“Yes, I do baby.” I smiled, knowing he could hear it through the phone.

“Look, I won't keep you from being out and having a good time. I'm just happy to know you're enjoying yourself.”

“Thank you baby. When you get back, I promise you, I'll do whatever you want me to do,” I added in a sultry voice.

“Oh? Anything?” he said with his voice heightened just a notch.

“Yes. We can do that thing you've been wanting to do.”

“I like the sound of that,” he said, his grin reaching my ears. “Okay babe, I'll talk to you later. I love you.”

“I love you too babe,” I said, the words hanging on my tongue even after the call ended as the partial truth tasted bitter.

I tucked the phone back into my pants and opened the door to find Scarlett standing several feet away, her eyes narrowed at me in an intense stare. Her face was filled with a mix of concern and curiosity as she leaned against the wall with her arms folded across her chest.

The sight of her sent my heart racing a thousand miles an hour as the shock, dread, and nervousness struck my body all at once. I felt like a deer in headlights as I stopped in the hallway.

"Oh my god, you scared me," I nervously chuckled as I calmed my jumbled nerves. "What are you doing here?"

"You were taking too long, so I got worried and thought that maybe you left or something. Who called you?" She curiously tilted her head to the side.