Chapter 16. My TrustFall

Audrey's POV

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Attempted SA, abuse, and violence.

Reader discretion is advised.

I knew immediately that something was wrong when I pulled up to the airport and saw Andrew standing near the curb; he was waving at me with a huge grin plastered on his face. When I stepped out of the car to hug him, I noticed that the enthusiastic smile didn't reach his eyes. No, they were filled with a barely discernible mix of anger and suspicion. He probably thought that I couldn't notice, but I had a talent at noticing the slightest emotion in a person.

Before I could greet him, he abruptly grabbed my waist and pulled me in for a sloppy kiss that made my stomach churn in disgust. I wanted to vomit so badly as he swirled his tongue in my mouth like a dog. But I managed to hold it in as he broke the disgusting kiss; if you can call it that. Weird thing is though, he isn't a sloppy kisser, so it means that he purposely overdid it.

How the fuck did I ever feel anything towards this...guy?

"I missed you so much, baby," Andrew said as he gazed into my eyes as if he was searching for any secret that may be lurking inside; of which I had plenty.

"How was the trip?" I asked in a chipper voice as he released me and went to shove his luggage inside the open trunk of my Audi.

"It was great! Very successful too," he proudly added.

"Oh! You closed the deal?"

"You know it! I always succeed and get what I want no matter the cost." he stressed the last words as he finished shoving in the last of the bags.

He definitely knows something, I thought, Or perhaps that's my paranoia talking.

"I'm so proud of you babe," I brightly smiled as I closed the trunk.

Andrew approached me as I was about to climb inside the car and held out his hand.

"I'll drive," he said, his tone slightly darker. It was barely noticeable, but I immediately caught it. I guess you can call it female intuition.

"No. You just flew in, and you probably have jet lag. Let me drive, and I will not take no for an answer," I glared at him.

He probably could tell that I wouldn't let up, because he simply shrugged and gave me a smile, as if it was no big deal. But I knew it was, and I shuddered inwardly at the thought that if we weren't in public...

The ride was silent for a couple of minutes as I drove us out of the busy airport traffic and onto Interstate 105.

"We should stop at that cafe on the way home," Andrew suddenly announced, breaking the chilly silence and nearly making me jump. "I could use a cup of good coffee after the long flight, and I know that you wouldn't mind a good latte as well."

"I don't know. Maybe we should just-"

"No," he interrupted me a little too forcefully,"I insist."

I simply nodded, deciding that it would be best if I just agreed instead of bringing up an argument. I thought about texting Scarlett to let her know the change in plans, but not only was I driving at the moment, the risk was too big to take. I didn't know what was going on in Andrew's head, but I always trusted my gut. Okay, usually. And my gut was telling me that something was wrong. The way he was talking to me: his tone, demeanor, energy, everything. Something was off.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom. I'll be right back," Andrew informed me once we had ordered our drinks.

Immediately after he left, I seized the opportunity to call Scarlett and let her know what's going on. Sure, I could have texted her instead, but there was no time for that. I needed to make sure that she was made aware of the change in plans.