Chapter 31. An Unlikely Team

Scarlett's POV

As soon as the blue-eyed bitch closed the passenger door, I walked towards her and pushed her. She stumbled a few steps until her back slammed against the car. Before I could grab her by the collar of her brown, leather jacket, Vivian stepped between us. Her head barely reached past our necks, looking ridiculously small compared to both of us. Fear reflected at me from Julia's eyes as she returned my gaze.

"Calm down, Scarlett," Vivian said. She laid her palm on my chest to restrain me from moving forward.

"What the fuck is she doing here? Why the fuck did you bring that bitch here?" I demanded as I clenched my fists. My nails dug into my skin, the pain barely perceptible to me.

"Listen, Scarlett, she's–"

"No, you listen," I interrupted Vivian. "I know that you knew exactly what happened the last time I saw her. This is not how I wanted to meet Audrey's friend for the first time, but you've got to be the dum–"

"Look, I want to apologize for how I acted that night, okay?" Julia cut in.

"You think an apology will cut it, you stupid drunk?" I seethed.

"She IS sorry for what she did, Scarlett. Come on! I brought her because she's got better 'device skills' than me. Plus, she insisted!" Vivian pressure on my chest increased slightly as I moved a little forward.

"We're not hacking into the Pentagon, Vivian. I don't need someone with 'better device skills'." I took one step back, causing Vivian's hand to drop to her side.

"Scarlett, look, I'm not here to steal Audrey or anything." Julia stood upright. "I wasn't... me that night..."

"Oh yeah? Who were you? Christina Hendricks?" I scoffed.

"I was drunk, okay?! I admit it! I was a stupid drunk, and I reacted badly! Anyone who knows me well is aware that I hate violence! And I'm sorry! Now can we leave it all in the past and focus on saving Audrey?"

I inhaled sharply. Julia was right. Audrey didn't have time for us to argue over something like this. As much as I wanted to punch Julia and knock those stupid freckles off her face, I needed to control myself. Besides, I had a feeling that Audrey wouldn't like it. At all.

Plus, I had to preserve my knuckles for a much more important use later on.

"Fine, whatever. Only because I'm willing to do anything for Audrey, even if it means teaming up with her ex." I rolled my eyes as Vivian smiled.

"Yay!" Vivian exclaimed and looked between us. "Now, let's get to work!"

"Where's that demom?" Julia rolled her shoulders back as she exhaled a sigh of relief. Or at least it seemed like relief.

"Demom?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Yeah... you know... demon... mom," Julia said.

"Oh..." That's a stupid name. "I guess you had problems with her too, huh?"

"Pretty much."

"Well, she's tied up in the house, and I sort of punched her–"

"You punched her?? Finally!" Vivian literally jumped for joy. "That bitch had it coming!"

"So what–"

Julia was interrupted by the sound of a vehicle pulling up to the gate. A black Nissan pickup truck honked, and a wave of relief flowed over me as I pressed the remote. Carmen drove through and parked next to Audrey's black Audi.

"Who's that?" Vivian asked as Carmen turned off the engine.

"Oh, that's Carmen. My friend. I called her because I need all the help I can get," I replied as she hopped out of the truck.