Chapter 9. It Takes Willpower

Scarlett's POV

Audrey has been coming to the café almost every day this last week. Each day, our chatting became longer and went past the normal “how was your day?”

It has surprisingly been more than a few days since I felt the need to release my anger at a punching bag or dummy at the gym, and even the troll guy in the dark corner didn't bother me that much lately. It was a welcoming change, and I had a feeling that it was because of Audrey's presence in my life, no matter how brief it is.

While Audrey's order was being prepared and Carmen took care of the other customer, I decided that it was a good time for me to chat a little.

"So what are your plans for today?" I inquired.

"Oh, I'm a part-time dog trainer, so I have two more dogs that I need to train. After that...I don't really know. Just whatever comes up I guess," she added with a light chuckle.

"Oh, that's so cool that you train dogs! I absolutely adore those little furballs and hope to get one someday. Maybe once I have a dog you could train her. Unless of course..." I hesitated and glanced at her with a hopeful look.

"Sure! Of course! It would be my pleasure!" she beamed.

"How much do you charge? If you don't mind me asking."

"I normally charge $100-$225 per hour depending on the type of training, but for you I'd be more than happy to provide a discount of forty dollars per hour."

When I heard her training rate for a dog, I struggled to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor in shock. That must be how she's able to afford those large tips. She must have noticed my flabbergasted reaction, because she laughed a little.

"I know. It is really expensive, but for my clients, money isn't an issue as long as they're receiving results. Plus, it is L.A."

"I mean... that's impressive," I remarked in awe. "Even for L.A."

"If you want, I'd be more than happy to train your future dog for free." she shrugged her shoulders and gently smiled.

"Really? You would do that?" I raised an eyebrow.

"For you? Most certainly," she grinned. "It's the least I could do in return for your stellar service."

"Thank you," I replied with a wide smile. "My imaginary dog and I deeply appreciate the two hundred dollar discount".

She laughed heartily at that, and the sound rushed through me like the welcoming warmth of wine sliding down my throat.

"You're more than welcome. I enjoyed talking to you, Scarlett," she warmly smiled and picked up her order that had just arrived.

"You're the one who made it enjoyable," I remarked with a wink. Her cheeks flushed a bright red, and the sight alone made me feel heat settle into a pool at my core.

One week later

"So when are you going to ask her out?" Carmen asked me as we were laying on my bed and watching a movie.

Our apartment had two bedrooms but only mine had a TV mounted on the wall, so Carmen would often climb into bed with me to watch a movie. Unless I had a female companion for the night. But tonight, I was completely free as I wasn't even slightly interested in hooking up with anyone other than her.