Chapter 29. I Won't Hurt You Baby, I promise

Audrey's POV

Trigger Warning: Mentions of homophobia

Scarlett's expression fell and her eyebrows creased together when I told her that my mother was calling.

“Your… mother?” She backed away to give me some space.

“Yeah… I need to take this,” I said as I jumped off the counter and walked a few feet away.

I dreaded any phone calls from my mother, and I knew that she was going to yell at me as soon as I pressed the green call button. And as much as I wanted to decline the call or let it go to voicemail, there's no way I'll be able to avoid any confrontation from her, so the sooner I settled this, the better.

“Hi, M—”

“Ты сука такая!(You brat!)” she yelled at me before I could even say two words. “Ты почему мне не сказала что Ты и Andrew broke up, huh? (Why didn't you tell me that you and Andrew broke up, huh?)”

Oh shit… Andrew must have finally told her what had happened.

“I… didn't think it was that big of a deal,” I replied with a shrug as if she could see me.

“Not a big deal? How is breaking up with your boyfriend “not a big deal”? And a whole month passes by before I hear about it? I'm your mother, ты тварь (you bitch).”

“I–”

“I want you to come here right now," she interrupted me again. "Not tomorrow, not next week, right this minute.”

“Can't we just talk about this o–”

“Did you hear what I just said?” she bellowed, the volume making me wince and pull the phone away from my ear. Scarlett moved a little towards me, and I extended my hand to stop her.

“Да(yes),” I whispered.

I heard the sound of the call ending and opened my messages. I had the no disturb on the entire night, so a whole barrage of texts met my eyes, most of them from my mother demanding answers and half the texts were in CAPS.

“That was… your mother?” Scarlett's voice made me glance up. She wore an expression of worry mixed with anger as she took another step towards me.

“Yeah…” I sighed as I turned off my phone and tucked it into my pants.

“I know you told me you have problems with her, but from what I just heard, she sounds like a monster.”

“She… sort of is.” I lightly chuckled.

“I'm guessing she doesn't know that you…” She raised her eyebrow at me inquisitively.

“Oh, she does. She just doesn't accept it,” I nervously cleared my throat. Scarlett had told me about her ex’s homophobic parents, so I knew that the subject was a bit touchy for her.

“So she's… homophobic huh,” she said. The tone of her voice prompted me to reach her and tuck my fingers under her chin so she could look at me. Which I guess wasn't all that necessary since she's taller than me and was practically already looking at me, but I wanted to do the gesture.

“Hey,” I softly said. “I'm not like Abriana, okay? I don't care about my mother's views or expectations. I'm here, aren't I?”

She sniffled. “It's going to take more than just words to convince me of that.”

Her words were like a brick to my face. They stung, despite the fact that I've already lied to her multiple times before. Of course she would have doubts, but it was still hurtful.