6

"Hanan?"

"You returned early?" Nanny Ann looked surprised to see Hanan barged in.

"We were not expecting you now, we just got in too." Nanny Ann said further approaching Hanan who looked lost staring away.

"I knew she wouldn't stay out late, where is Faruk?"Abdul inquired but Hanan remained a statue not even listening to their talks, all she wanted was for someone to explain why it still hurts.

"Hanan?" Nanny Ann observes her dull face as she walks up to her. "Are you crying?" She asks while gently touching her wet cheeks.

"What happened?" She asks again but Hanan just continues to cry leaving them more worried.

"Hanan, talk to us, what happened? Did anyone hurt you? Is it Faruk?" Abdul had turned extremely anxious as he threw several questions at her but her only response was her continuous drop of tears.

Somehow she manages to reply as she sees the fear and worry they had on their faces.

"I saw him." She whispered before running off to her room.

She shut her door sitting on the floor while leaning against the door, She pulled her knees to her arms while aggressively wiping away her tears, she could feel her pain dominating her when she burst out crying.

She felt shattered all over again.

It seems like it was just yesterday everything happened, She remembers every detail of her past and it stings a lot.

Why does it still hurt? Why can't I heal from my past? Why does seeing him make me break down again? She thinks as she continues to sob.

She crawls to her closet pulling out an old rusty box, the box filled with her past.

And the first item she pulls out makes her weep more than she's ever done.
She hugs the little piece of knitted jacket close to her heart reminiscing the warmth of her dead baby, little me.

The first human she fell in love with before meeting, the only ray of hope she had for her meaningless life to be meaningful again when all she had crumbled, but yet again, unfortunately, that reason was snatched away and now all she has is their memories to live in.

She lays on the bare floor wrapping the little piece of clothing in her arms.
She remained in that position as time passed.

>>>

The moment she uttered the words "I met him" Abdul knew what she meant as his fear had finally surfaced.

He knew they were bound to meet someday, for as long as she returned to Nigeria the possibility of them meeting was high but he didn't expect it to be this early.

He feared this day and now that the day had arrived he was as helpless as he knew he would.

The only thing he could do was stand behind her closed door hearing her cry out and despite how much he wanted to walk in and console her, he couldn't, he had no idea how to do it and whether telling her the truth was going to make everything fine.

Nanny Ann who hasn't stopped pacing up and down in worry rushes to Abdul. "Abdul, why don't you go in and check her, she's gone silent for a while now, I'm worried."

"Yeah, but I think...

"If you won't go in then I will, I'm worried she might hurt herself!" She snaps at him.

"She won't self-harm don't worry, she just needs some space."

"Are you sure? Please go in or let me." Nanny Ann insisted on walking to the room when Abdul stopped her.