15

"Honk honk!" Hanan could hear the sound blaring in her ears.

"Gosh! It's morning already? And can't they drive out quietly?" She groans wrapping her ears closed, and in that same moment she rushed out of bed running to the window, she gasped.

"No, no, no! What's says the time?" Sighting the clock, she couldn't believe she overslept till past 11.

"goddammit, what the heck happened to my alarm?" She mutters, picking up the alarm, she recollects that she slept off the previous night forgetting to set it up thanks to an ex-friend who ruined her night.

"Oh God, I should be at the office not here." She moaned.

It was Monday, a day which was supposed to be her first day at work but rather she was still within the four walls of her apartment wearing her pajamas with a wrinkled morning face.

"How irresponsible of me." She sighed, gazing at the bright sun that shone through her curtains, she acknowledged that it was almost noon and there was no way she would show up at the office by this time on her first day.

"What will they think of me? No, I won't go, I have to make up an excuse." She says picking up her phone she sees several missed calls from Faruk.

"I should call back." And on her first dial, he picked up her call.

"Hello, Hanan where are you?"

"I'm sorry Faruk, I won't be able to come to the office." She says with a faint voice, which is almost below a whisper.

"Why? You don't sound good are you okay?" Faruk asks his voice expressing worry.

"I think I have a light fever but I will be fine with some meds."

"I will be on my way, I will get you a doctor...

"Nooo!" She snapped. "Don't bother I've already taken drugs, I will be fine with a quiet nap."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, it's just the change of weather dawning on me, it's nothing serious."

"Okay, rest properly and eat, okay?"

"I will, thanks."

"Sure, actually I called earlier to tell you that my dad wants to meet you tonight for dinner...

"Really, why?"

"It's nothing serious, he just wants to get to know his new employees, but now that you're ill, we will postpone it...

"No! Don't postpone it, I would like to meet him."

"But you're ill, don't worry, he will understand your health comes first."

"Faruk, I want to meet him, I insist please."

"Fine, but rest properly till then, I will pick you up by 5 we're meeting over dinner."

"Okay, thanks till then, I will hang up now, bye."

"Bye."

Once she cut the call, Hanan heaved a sigh of guilt, while staring at her dressing mirror.

"It's just a white lie everyone tells after all, and besides, I can't appear at the office late on my first day, it will forever give me a bad impression which I can't deal with...

She kept speaking to her reflection till her phone beeps.

"I want to see you ma'am Habiba." She read out the text and instantly she could tell who the sender of the message was.

"Emma?" She muttered. "What does she want?" Hanan sighed still on the message when another message popped in.

"Please 🙏 it's important, I need to talk to you so let's meet up at the usual spot, the mall, thanks."