19

"What would you like to have for breakfast?" Nanny Ann asks once Hanan completes her morning supplication.

"Good morning ." Hanan smiled, ignoring her question she was surprised to see her.

Hanan was surprised to see Nanny Ann at the early hour of the day, she didn't even realize when Nanny Ann entered her room.

She glanced at her wall clock and then Nanny Ann again and again. "Didn't she see what says the time?" But Nanny Ann felt unbothered even after she realized what Hanan was hinting at.

"It's just 5 am you should be asleep." Hanan laughed.

"I know, I know, I just wanted to ask so I could start arranging your breakfast" Nanny Ann smiled.

"You speak like you want to make food for an entire community, don't worry about me, go and sleep, you didn't even get enough sleep coz of me last night."

"Later this morning, I will be going to the market for monthly household shopping...

"And then you thought about me?" Hanan cuts her off with a smile.
"Don't bother, I will make my breakfast myself, and also, I will be going out by 10."

"To where?" She replied.

"My house...

"You're leaving home again?!" Nanny Ann blurt out even before Hanan could explain.

"No, Nanny Ann, I'm going to get my things back home, and also settle some important things."

"Okay, I trust you will be back."

"I will so go to bed now." Hanan smiled.

"Okay, quit chasing me to bed already." Nanny Ann laughed and walked out.

Once Hanan was alone again she raised her hands in the air, praying for the new decision she had taken to bring her the peace and happiness she yearned for.

It wasn't going to be easy to bury those memories and forget they once existed especially of "little me"  but she was determined to protect the relationships she has now and also pave a new happy life for herself.

With that she rounded up her prayers, getting off her prayer mat, she bends under the bed to pull out her scrap box, the box that contained a lot of items and memories.

Memories of her mother, little me, and Habiba, her real identity which she was ready to claim back.

Adding to the box is the dress, the expensive VIP dress she got thanks to Faruk, it will now be a memory.

Not after all she heard from his father, she can't be the reason his family gets destroyed.

With that, she locked the dress into the box and returned it to where it was.

"It's a gift, it will be rude to return it, I will keep it." She smiled and hopped back into her bed with thoughts of how she was going to cut off ties with Faruk.

"I don't think I deserve to have a friend." She sighed recalling how she dumped all her friends.

One was her childhood friend Jamila whom she had not gotten in touch with for over three years since her departure from the village, and the second was Amira who has been her bestie since freshman year and has now unfollowed and blocked her on all social platforms.

"I take my words back, I don't deserve Amira."

***

The sky was bright and clear, the birds chirping and singing and from a distance, one could hear the bustling busy roads of Lagos.