20

"Najib?!" Grandma called, concerned to see him looking ragged and tired as he walked past the dining room.

"Yes, Grandma." He answered joining her.

He kissed her frail hands and smiled.

"Good morning."

"Morning dear, did you sleep in? Are you just returning from the office?" She asks observing his unchanged outfit.

"I slept off in my car." He smiled.

"Oh Najib, you shouldn't do that next time, look at how tired you look and it rained all night," She says running her hand on his hair, and then she gripped them hard.

"Ahh! Ouch! Grandma stop it, it hurts." Najib squirmed holding her hand.

"I won't till you promise to stop braiding your hair, i'd warned you not to braid your anymore!" Grandma scoffed as she released his hair.

"And that's why I didn't braid it, I twisted it this time, look at it closely." He laughed showing her his hair.

She was about to knock his head when he quickly moved away laughing, he smiled recalling the real reason he twisted his hair was because of Habiba.

A day before the dinner at Faruk's place, he went to a salon to get a new look, so he got a twist hairstyle and a nice shave just to impress Habiba, but it was pointless.

"Why are you smiling like someone who has just seen his crush?" Grandma sighed.

"Grandma!" Najib chuckled.

"Sit and eat, after eating go up and rest okay? You work too much, you need to rest." She sighed fetching him a plate, she served him food, and there, the rest of the family joined in.

"Good morning family." Hajiya smiled as she pulled a chair out to sit alongside Alhaji Aminu.

"Good morning," Grandma replied.

"Morning," Najib muttered and continued eating.

"You got a new hairstyle, I love it," Hajiya says while smiling at him, but he just gives her a faint smile and continues eating.

"You shouldn't be encouraging him as his mother." Alhaji Aminu scolds.

"What can I do when our children choose to be stubborn?" She smiled. "And that reminds me, Amir and Amina are returning from their honeymoon trip they should be on their way, she asked me to ask you all what you would like her to get for you."

"A great-grandson." Grandma and Alhaji Aminu said together making everyone laugh, including Najib who was least interested in their conversation.

Years have passed but some things never changed for Najib and that includes his hostility towards his father.

"Sure inshaAllah, but I would be happier if Najib would be able to give you your first great grandkid Grandma," Hajiya says making everyone stare at her at once.

"Why is everyone suddenly looking at me? Did I say anything bad? I have a good girl for him if he wishes to settle down." She smiled.

"Children are children, whether Najib or Amina provides me with one first does it matter?" Grandma sighed.

"No, it doesn't, I'm just saying...

"You don't have a say in my life." Najib cuts her off.

And just then, Emma walked in.

"Good morning everyone, Please permit me to say something." She asks looking at Grandma as she seeks her approval.

"Yes speak," Grandma replied.