14

"Mom, what the heck is dad saying?"

"Language son! And you don't need to ask your mom, I am here, clarify with me."

"Dad, I have made it clear to you that she is not my girlfriend, so why do we need to invite her to our family dinner?"

"I just want to meet your friend is that a crime?"

"Faruk dear, listen to your dad, it's just a dinner, I too want to meet her again."

"Fine Mom, I will come along with her tomorrow if that's what you both want, so is this what you wanted to discuss?"

"There is more, I heard you employed her at the company without an interview?"

"Yes I did employ her and I took her interview myself."

"Interesting, well now I have more reason to invite her over, she's coming not only as my son's friend but as my employee too." He smiled.

"Dad, she is qualified to work at the firm...

"Who says she is not? I've seen and heard a lot about her already, the best-graduating student from your school, you could have been the one but as usual you're always below the scale."

"Alhaji, Haba! Why do you always demote our son? This behavior of yours is getting too old, I don't like it...

"Mom, it's fine." Faruk sighed suppressing the growing rage in him.

"I can't be the perfect son he wants so let it be, and if that's all, I will take my leave now, good night." He rises from his seat and bids them goodbye.

"Faruk, wait I will go with you, drive me home too."

"Okay, Mom, and Dad good night."

"Don't forget to come with her, 7 pm, don't be late." He replied while seeing them to the door.

***

"I'm sorry, I know you must be bitter by your Dad's constant taunts, don't hate him please." Faruk mom's said as she observed her son's sour face, she patted his hand with a warm smile.

"It's fine Mom, really, I've grown used to his taunts, you don't need to feel bad for me." He smiled, assuring his mother who sat in the passenger seat as they rode home.

"I don't know when he will change, you're the best gift of my life, may God bless you."

"Amin, well I don't care if he changes or not, as long as you remain the best gift of my life too." He says giving her hand a light kiss.

"And I would like to ask why Dad insisted on inviting Hanan for dinner, he didn't seem sincere."

"You know your dad is always curious about his workers, I guess he just wants to know her properly, and she is the first friend you have ever introduced home."

"Just that? I feel there is more to it."

"Well, I can't say, we will find out tomorrow evening, and before I forget, Najib visited."

"Najib!?"Faruk uttered in shock which almost made him lose control of his steering, while he struggled to regain balance, his tires screeched loudly.

"Be Careful! what happened?!" His mom shrieked in fear.

"Sorry, Mom."

"You scared me, be careful, focus on the road when you drive or else I will hire you a driver."

"A driver? No that's not necessary." Faruk Chuckles and quickly his mood changes.

"Mom you said Najib came by?"