part one: prologue

I'm a lover, plain and simple. There are many things that I love.

For starters, New York. The city with bright lights and thousands and thousands of people walking, driving, singing, dancing, acting, eating, literally just living. The place that never sleeps and people all over the world imagine what it's like and dream to one day visit.

My favorite place in the whole world. I loved the city. I loved the loud city noises. Every single police siren, every angry deli man shouting, every street vendor selling bracelets, every song that people danced to for money.

I'm a proud New Yorker and I love being able to say that I'm from here.

The second thing is my school. I know it sounds absolutely insane to think that someone could actually love school but let me explain. Okay, so I don't love school school, but I love everything in it.

I love being the president of the art committee. I love being part of our school's hockey team. I love seeing my friends every day at our table at lunch. I love heading to the library after school to read, and dragging my friends to the skatepark right after.

I loved the school's environment, I felt so at home, so safe.

The third thing I love is my family. My family is my rock. Without my family, I wouldn't be who I am today. My family is my number one support team. They push me to be the very best that I am. They comfort me and make me feel safe too. My family has taught me how to take jokes, how to stand up for myself, how to make my life worth it.

I love them so, so, so much.

This is also why the very thing I loved most of all was my life. It was mine and only mine and no one could ever understand how precious it was to me. How important it was that I enjoyed every single thing in it and made it unforgettable.

My life, in my eyes, is perfect. Nothing could ever change that.

I was having one of these very deep thoughts to myself as I stood off to the side of the Annual Summer Break Charity Mixer, watching everyone laugh and dance on the dance floor.

This mixer was the annual fundraiser for any local charities that our school put together, inviting people to a formal dance and being able to sponsor those in need.

I was obviously proud to say that my little sister was the mastermind behind this year's party. Yeah, it's crazy what the mind of a freshman could do with the goal of Princeton in the back of her mind 24/7.

But, nevertheless, she was the best and I couldn't help but admire everything she put into this single event.

"Y/n!"

I turned, my face softening once my eyes landed on my little sister herself. I always thought that my sisters were beautiful. They were both tan and had the same silkily straight hair as my mom. I was the opposite, my hair was wavy and was always a little messy as I liked it.

I went over to her, seeing her with her phone and ipad in hand.

"Jackie, I hate to admit this but this thing is freaking awesome." I waved my hand around. She grinned back shyly.

"Thanks, you think it's enough to get me on the chair next year?" She asked. I snorted, putting an arm over her shoulders.

"Of course, only you would think of becoming Chairman of the Events committee your sophomore year when that position is only available for upperclassmen." I poked her stomach and teased her, "Try hard."

She glared back at me, narrowing her eyes, "Shut up." She pulled away and looked down at her phone, sighing.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my smile dropping as she frowned.