part twenty seven: carnivals and concerts

Compared to how I had been for the past week in the Walter home, I was at peace. I mean sure, there were a couple of little bumps I still had to get over in some areas but for right now I was happy.

I was excited for the concert and the carnival tomorrow. I was excited to watch Alex's horse competition, which was actually quite entertaining once I actually got into it. I was excited to be with my friends and have a good time.

I was very excited to see Isaac tomorrow too. Tomorrow would be our first date, spent probably alongside each other's friends but who really cares. I was excited to see him, I felt giddy just thinking about.

After the hell of a week I had being upset with Isaac then miraculously kissing him again (crazy, I know), I felt happy things were slowly fizzing out themselves. There were still some questions I had.

Why did he ignore me for so long, there had to be more he's not telling me? What's the real deal with him and Monica? Is she still in the picture? What exactly are we? Is it too soon to tell?

All the thoughts ran in the back of my head but as of right now, I chose to ignore them. Now is the time to relax, enjoy where things are right now. Summer was approaching, school would be out soon and I would be with my friends every single day. Like I said, I was at peace.

But Jackie was really testing this peace.

"Jackie, do we seriously have to go over this again? I've asked the same sentence fifty million times already." I groaned, sitting up in my bed to look at her. Jackie snapped her head to look at me.

"Yes, we do!" she exclaimed, "Y/n, this is really important to me and if I want to get into Princeton I need to fully commit myself and not mess this interview up."

I rolled my eyes, "Okay but we've been reciting this for, like, two hours already. Can I eat go get a snack?"

Jackie pretended to think for a moment before plainly replying, "No. Now from the top."

I groaned, frustrated, before flopping down onto my bed again to stare at the ceiling, In a very bored and annoyed tone I began to say, "Ms. Howard, tell me what makes you a unique candidate for our prestigious firm."

"Well, I have a very strong work ethic, and I'm extremely organ-" she paused, interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Thank, God!" I exclaimed, jumping up from the bed to open the door. I pulled it open and smiled, "Oh, Danny! You are an angel."

He gave me a weird look before laughing, "Yeah, thanks. Are you guys busy?"

"We're just practicing for my interview tomorrow." Jackie replied.

"More like torturing me with her stupid smart words." I muttered, making my sister give me an annoyed look. I pressed my lips together before turning back to Danny and holding the door open wider for him to come in.

He walked in slowly, pulling out an envelope from his back pocket. Immediately, Jackie stood up with her eyes wide.

"Is that-"

"Yeah." Danny nodded, smiling nervously. I furrowed my brows, walking between them.

"Wait, what is what? I'm confused."

Jackie gave me a look and Danny smiled, showing the letter to me. My eyes went wide as I read the seal.

"You applied to Juilliard?"

Danny nodded, "Yeah, back in the fall. Jackie helped me with it."

I looked at Jackie, offended, "And you didn't tell me?"