part four: not okay

As I waited for the last class to end, I stood at my locker, unloading some of the new books I got from the library that I went to instead of going back to class.

This library wasn't the same as our old school. Our old school's library was two stories and had a computer lab, a work area, and an area where we could literally nap with a book if we wanted.

But this was Colorado, and the library here was a single story with a computer lab that looked like it hadn't been used in years. All the books here even looked like they'd been through hell.

As I stood at my locker, I suddenly heard shouting towards the end of the hall, followed by a door opening.

"Next time this happens, Garcia, you're suspended! And I mean it! No more peaking into our practices!" a lady in short gym shorts and a hoodie shoved Isaac outside these huge double doors at the end of the hall. Behind her, I could see basketball courts and hear shoes squeaking as a crowd of girls in volleyball gear gathered around.

"I was just getting some pictures for the yearbook." Isaac put his hands up defensively with his phone in his hand and pushed himself off the floor. The lady rolled her eyes and turned back to her team.

"Everyone back on the court, I want two laps, now!" and with a slam, the door closed. Isaac scoffed, dusting himself off. He then turned, looking up and his eyes instantly landed on me, as I was the only other person in the hallway.

I looked away, hiding behind my locker door to continue to organize my locker and desperately hoping that he would just ignore me. I heard footsteps approaching me and I internally groaned.

"Converse!" he greeted me cheerfully. I furrowed my eyebrows and peeked over the metal door, seeing that he was right beside me.

"That's not my name." I glared at him.

"But that's what I like to call you." he defended. I rolled my eyes and turned back to my locker. He then went to open my door, making me slap his hand away. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Don't touch my stuff." I snapped, slamming my locker closed. He smirked, leaning his shoulder against the wall beside my locker.

"Wow, Converse, I didn't take you to be such a prude. I always thought that was more for your sister."

"I'm not a prude, and neither is Jackie." I shook my head, then thought better of it, "Well, maybe she could be sometimes, but that's not the point."

He nodded, licking his lips, "So, why'd you get called out of class today?"

"Oh, wouldn't you like to know." I raised a brow at him. He shrugged, waiting for me to answer. Finally I sighed, "It was just to go to the counselors. They just wanted to see how I was doing."

"And how are you doing?" he asked. I crossed my arms and gave him a hard look.

"Why are you asking me?"

He looking at me weirdly, "I can't just ask?"

"If I recall, earlier today you called me basic-"

"I called your shoes basic."

"Whatever. You were a jerk just a few hours ago. What's changed?"

He leaned forward with a stupid, smug smile on his face, "I'm just being nosy. I can't help it with a doll like you." He put his hand out, reaching to touch my cheek but I swatted his hand away.

"You're not cute." I said, beginning to turn away. I then felt his hand on my shoulder as he spun me back around.

"Okay, calm down, hot shot. I just want to know." he said, dropping his hand. I fixed my backpack straps and looked at him.