part twenty: unexpected events

That night, the house was quiet, probably the quietest it had ever been since I'd lived there. Very little conversation was exchanged and mostly everyone, including myself, was on probation here in the Walter house.

Dinner was especially quiet. Tensions were still high between Cole and Alex, as they didn't even look at each other. Isaac and I were the same, not even bothering to make any sarcastic comments.

It didn't help that Jackie had missed dinner too, leaving me alone.

She had decided to spend dinner at Grace's house and didn't come home until later, when everyone was already banished to their rooms for the night.

I filled her in on everything, since I had yet to text her as our electronics were confiscated until our homework was finished. Needless to say, she was angry at the whole situation.

Alex and Cole were pretty much on her hit list. She was angry and I listened to her rant about how stupid and immature they both were. Mostly about Cole, who she supposedly despised. At the end, she was still conflicted and I, being the good sister I am, had trekked downstairs to get her chocolate to cool her down.

After that I had ranted to her about Isaac and how much I absolutely could not stand him. At the end of the night, we were bother pretty much worn out from all of our venting and went to sleep in our own thoughts.

Of course I stayed up, staring at the wall, a million different thoughts in my mind.

Why was Isaac on my ass so much? What the hell happened between Peter and I? How the hell is my sister in a love triangle? Why is Monica so perfect? Will I ever end up on the gossip page? Are Isaac and Monica a thing? Do they like each other? So what if they like each other, why should I care?

Right?

Eventually I drifted to sleep, the last thing I saw being the unfinished painting on my wall.

I awoke the next morning to the most terrible noise anyone could ever wake up to: my alarm.

I groaned, rolling over in my mess of blankets and slapping my hand everywhere around my nightstand until it found my phone and the beeping stopped. I rolled onto my back, rubbing my eyes. It was dark inside the room, slowly growing lighter as the sun started to peak farther into the sky.

Why was I awake so early, you may ask? Because unfortunately after yesterday's whole fight incident (that I had nothing to do with) each of us were given more chores to do around the farm and the house.

And today, I was scheduled with feeding the horses and grooming them.

Just the perfect way to spend my morning.

I slowly rolled out of bed, slipping on my slippers and heading to the bathroom. The plus side to being awake this early was that the house was quiet, as mostly everyone was still sleeping.

I brushed my teeth and cleaned my face, trudging back upstairs to my room. As I did so, I started to hear the first round of different alarms coming from different rooms, no doubt to start up on the shower schedule.

I headed to my room, closing the door and beginning to get ready. Since it was cold and I was planning on taking a shower after completing my chore, I decided to wear leggings and a hoodie.

The sun was rising more now and our room starting to grow naturally brighter, the paintings starting to come into view. Slowly I started to hear the opening and closing of doors, footsteps thumping the floorboards, low arguments already brewing.

Yup, just a typical morning in the Walter home.

I went to our closet, looking for any pair of old converse. I spotted them, at the bottom of a shelf with all my other pairs of converse.