part ten: sisters

"I'll take the small red velvet round cake please." I asked the cashier. The guy nodded, going to grab the cake in the display window and box it up for me. I handed him the money and took the box, thanking him before stepping outside.

It was cold out and the sun was going down. I tightened my jacket around me as I walked to the corner.

"Got it." I said, holding up the cake for Danny to see. He looked up from his phone and nodded.

"Ready to go then?"

"Yeah." I nodded, then shook my head, "Wait, do you guys happen to have candles at home?"

"I think so." he nodded, then turned on his heel to lead the way back to the truck.We both sat in silence as he drove for awhile, just us two in the car.

"Thanks, again for coming back out to take me." I told him once we were already nearing the house.

"No problem." he glanced at me, then at the box, "What's it for anyway?"

"Nothing." I shook my head, then bit my lip. With a sigh I said, "It's for our sister, Lucy. Today's her birthday."

He didn't say anything, his eyebrows just raised. Then, after a moment, he said, "If you ever wanna talk about it, let me know. I know we're not super close but, you know."

I looked at him and gave him a small smile, "Thanks. I appreciate that."

Another moment passed before he spoke again, "I'm just glad now that you asked me to drive you, cause once everyone sees that they'll turn savage."

I laughed, "No kidding. I've once seen Lee and Jordan fight over the last bit of beef jerky."

He shook his head, smiling, "I swear, sometimes I don't know how I'm related to them."

"Yeah, I mean, you've got the whole mysterious thing going on, right?" I asked and he nodded, "And you're into theater too?"

"I am actually." he nodded again.

"Are you any good?"

"I think I'm decent." he shrugged. "I'm not Romeo though."

"Aw come on, I think anyone can be Romeo if they really want to be." I insisted. He tilted his head.

"I don't know. I mean, there's this play that's coming up in the spring," he said, "Its called Much Ado About Nothing-"

"Oh my gosh! Yes, I know that one." I squealed, " Jackie and I went with our mom to the broadway showing. It was hilarious."

"Wait, seriously?" he exclaimed, looking at me quickly.

"Yeah and, I mean, Jackie's probably read the book like fifty times, it's one of her favorites."

"That's...That's awesome." he grinned.

"I can't believe she hasn't told you that before." I shook my head.

We had made it back to the house now and as we parked I could see Parker, Benny, and Jordan playing field hockey while Lee disappeared around the back of the house with his board in hand.

"Hey, you know what," I said, stopping Danny as he went to open the door, "I think you should definitely go out for that play. I think you'd be amazing and I'm sure Jackie and I could help you if you needed it."

He looked at me and smiled, "Thanks. I'll think about it, that'd be pretty cool. You should probably run inside with that cake before anyone sees you."

"I definitely will." I nodded, reaching for the door. I quickly got off and we both headed inside before I bolted up the stairs.