part six: baths and nerf wars

The car ride was uncomfortably silent. I assumed that Jackie was still mad at Isaac, or whoever it was that did the prank, I still wasn't sure.

When we got to the house, the four of us got off the car and started to head up the porch steps. As Jackie got off, I took her by the shoulder, holding her back.

"Where were you at?"

She stopped and looked at me, "I was at this watering hole. It's really pretty, Y/n, we should check it out."

"Yeah, okay, why were you there?"

"Cause Cole took me to-"

"To just give her a quick little tour." Cole turned back to us, about to open the door. Then he looked at me and Isaac. "Where were you two after school?"

"Yeah, and why were you guys walking?" Jackie arched a brow. Isaac and I glanced at each other.

"She was helping me in the library. You know how I love my ladies smart." Isaac said, earning a punch in the arm from me. Cole and Jackie looked between the two of us suspiciously.

"Right." Cole nodded, before turning back around and finally walking inside. When we walked in, the house was quiet, other than the sounds of dishes clinking. The four of us made our way to the dining table, where everyone was already sat eating.

"Is there anything left?" Cole threw the keys onto the kitchen counter. "Cause I am starving."

"You know you're supposed to call if you're running late. right? That goes for you too, Isaac." George said. "I mean that's the whole reason you have the phone."

"My phone died, sorry." Isaac laid his jacket on the back of his chair before taking a seat next to Lee.

"Where have you guys been?" Katherine asked.

"We, uh, went to the watering hole. Lost track of time." Cole pointed between him and Jackie. Isaac and I shared another look.

"We were in the library." Isaac shrugged, "Studying."

"Studying? Okay." Katherine nodded.

Jackie suddenly spoke up and looked at Katherine and George. "Listen, I-"

"Jackie, excuse me." George held up a finger to silence her. Jackie sighed, to which I looked at her weirdly.

What's going on?

George cleared his throat, "Hey, Cole, do you know anything about a bet with Isaac this morning?"

I quickly whipped my head to look at Isaac, who squeezed his eyes shut with his head tilted down. I knew it!

Cole shook his head, not meeting George's eyes, "No. No, doesn't ring a bell."

"I didn't get that." George said.

"Seriously, Cole?" Katherine sighed.

Cole finally looked up from his plate and half laughed, "It was a joke, okay?"

At this, I heard Jackie gasp. Not only had Isaac been guilty of the event that took place this morning, Cole had been too and apparently she had no idea.