part twelve: getting somewhere

When Isaac and I eventually arrived at the camp site again, Katherine immediately ran to us and pulled us both in for a hug, despite our soaking clothes.

After giving the both of us a small lecture for messing around, she sent the two of us inside to warm up. Neither of us had packed any extra clothes, as we were only supposed to pack for an extra day. So, we were screwed in wrapping ourselves in blankets.

Eventually we went home and this time, the ride was pretty good. After the soccer game, most of them had backed off on messing with me and this time, Katherine let us play our own music and we turned the drive into a karaoke concert (I forced Danny to sing Talking to the Moon by Bruno Mars).

The closer we got back to town though, the weather started to change. Instead of the sunny and clear sky at the river, the clouds had rolled in and soon we were driving in a thunderstorm.

"They had said that there would be a storm here this weekend." George had said. I internally grew worried, hoping that my sister was okay.

When we got to the house finally, all of us ran inside, leaving the trailer and the canoe on top of the car in the large shed.

The house was dark when we entered, not a light in sight.

"I call showering first!" Lee yelled, running straight up the stairs.

"I'm next!" Nathan said.

"Okay, well, let's first get some light on in here." Katherine shook her head.

"I'm on it for the generator." George said, heading straight for the side door.

I came rushing inside with the blanket still wrapped around me. Katherine stood at the door, ushering everyone in before closing it.

"God, it's freezing." I shivered, using the blanket in an attempt to dry my hair. I quickly went to the kitchen, "Where's Jackie?"

"Don't know." Alex shrugged, also going to search the house. It was dark and rain sprayed the exterior of the house, making it give off an eerie effect.

"Jackie?" I called, going to check George's office.

"I found them." Alex called. I rushed back to the living room, stopping when I spotted Alex at the doorway and looking at Jackie and Cole by the fireplace with a bunch of candles lit around them.

Oh, this is awkward.

As I stood there, the lights suddenly turned back on, breaking me from the awkward silence I stumped myself into. I quickly pushed past Alex and pulled my sister into a hug. "Jackie."

"Hi, Y/n." she greeted me, hugging me back. "Why are your clothes so damp?"

"It a long story." I said, pulling away, "Are you okay? Did anything happen? Why did the lights go out?"

"Relax, dude." Cole looked at me, "When the storms get bad around here the lights usually go out. That's why we got the generator. Come on, Y/n, you think I'd put your sister in danger?"

"I don't know, she did come home Friday intoxicated and with a busted lip." I arched a brow at him, letting out a laugh. He laughed too, shaking his head.

"How was the trip?" Jackie asked, looking at me and Alex. I shrugged.

"It was okay. Alex was a terrible ref though." I gave Alex a look, trying to diffuse the tension.

Alex just shrugged, still looking straight at Jackie, "I'm not that good of a ref, sorry."

There was awkward silence as the four of us stared at each other.