part fourteen: thankfully baking

After our conversation with our uncle, Jackie and I had decided to talk about it at a later time and just enjoy the rest of our day.

Dinner was soon called and everyone came out of their hide outs to the dining table. Across the wooden surface was all kinds of food, including ham, mash potatoes, mac and cheese, salad, biscuits and even more.

And of course, there was so many people. Each of the Walters were rushing to take their seats and the adults sat to one side of the table while the kids sat on the other, meanwhile Benny, Parker and Jordan sat at a kids table nearby. In the kitchen was a girl with dark skin and hair helping Katherine organize the counter.

When Jackie and I walked into the room, she smiled at us,"Hi, I'm Hayley, Will's fiancé." she held out her hand.

"I'm Y/n." I smiled back, taking her hand.

"Jackie." Jackie said, doing the same, "Where's Will?"

"He's working. But they brought us pie." Nathan called from the other side of the kitchen. I smiled, looking at Hayley.

"Did you bring pumpkin?"

She laughed, "Do you think I'd be crazy enough not to?"

I grinned, "I like you already."

"Come on, Y/n, before all the seats are taken." Jackie motioned me to follow her to the table. I nodded, beginning to walk to her when someone suddenly yelled.

"DUCK!"

I looked up, just in time to see a football coming straight for my face. I gasped, quickly ducking just in time for the ball to go right over my head.

"Wooh! Near face interception from Howard but Walter's got the ball!" Danny announced like a sports reporter.

"Kids, what have we said about balls in the house?" Katherine scolded, instantly making all the boys snicker at her choice of words.

"Knock it off, boys." George gave each of them a look, making them all stop talking.

I turned around to see Cole with the football in his hand and I scowled, "What the hell is wrong with you? I could've been hit!"

"Don't look at me! It's not my fault Isaac can't aim." Cole put his hands up defensively, looking behind me. I turned, and my eyes landed on Isaac standing at the side door.

He was in a baggy green collared shirt with a white t shirt underneath and light washed jeans. His hair wasn't it's usual mess but it wasn't perfectly combed either. He smelled good, a nice cologne obviously having been sprayed on from earlier.

But none of that wasn't even on my mind. The thing that was on my mind was his shoe choice for today.

Converse.

"You're wearing Timberlands."

"What?" I said, having been snapped out of my thoughts. I looked back at his face and he was looking down at my shoes.

I looked down and sure enough, I was. I was wearing the exact same pair of Timberlands that he had. The same pair I swore I would never wear again because of him. But this morning, because of the cold weather — I wasn't thinking. It was a mistake, how could I have done that to myself?

I looked back up at him and crossed my arms, "And you're wearing converse."

He looked down and smiled at his black high tops. "Yeah, I am. These were the one's I've been saving up for."

He looked back at me and our eyes met. Because of the Timberlands, I had managed to grow another inch in height, but he was still about a head taller than me.