part eight: huddle up

Saying that the Homecoming Huddle was a great event was an understatement. Even though I had only been here for a week, I could tell it was the biggest event of the year. I mean, hundreds of people gathered in the town's square, waiting to buy food, dance, and play games.

To think, up until now I always thought that this town had the population of a hundred. Oh, was I so wrong.

We finally set up our stand and Jackie quickly went off to drop off the banner at the auction table. I stood at our stand and stacked cups, getting ready for people to stop by while Isaac and Alex unloaded the cart from the truck.

Once it was settled, they both went up to the stand, just as Jackie came back.

"I don't know where Will is. He said he'd meet us here." Alex sighed, grabbing his phone.

"He mentioned earlier that he was gonna run late." I shrugged.

"Who cares? Do we even need him?" Isaac rolled his eyes, running a hand through his hair.

"Well if the cart jams, yeah." Alex sighed. "Unless you know how to fix it."

Isaac put his hands up defensively, "Sorry, Al, but I'm more beauty than brains. You could ask Y/n though — she's got no beauty so it shouldn't be a prob — Ow!"

"Shut up." I glared at him as he rubbed his arm where I had punched him.

"Well you could try, can't you?" Jackie asked. Alex shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck.

"I'll try, sure." he then turned to me and Isaac. "Okay, you two have the second shift. Make sure to be here in two hours."

"I don't understand why I couldn't work with Jackie." I complained.

"Because you guys needed someone to help you that actually knows what they're doing." Alex reasoned. "Plus, Jackie and I had already agreed to work together."

"I know and I'm offended." I shot my sister a look, to which she laughed.

"Look it's really not a big deal." Alex shrugged, "But please guys, don't be late, especially you, Isaac."

"I'll be here, relax." Isaac waved him off, disappearing into the crowd before anyone could get another word to him. I turned to Jackie.

"Good luck. I'll be around here somewhere if you need me."

"Thanks, Y/n. I'll call you if anything. Are you gonna be able to find your friends?"

I shrugged, "I think I can manage. I'm sure they're around here somehwh-"

"Y/n!" someone yelled behind me. I jumped at the sudden sound, turning around to see Ella and Wendy.

Ella ran to me, pulling me into a hug, "I was worried we weren't gonna find you. There's a lot more people here than last year, right, Wendy?"

Wendy trailed behind her, smiling, "Yeah a little. Hi, Y/n."

"Hey, guys." I smiled back at them.

"Come on. The band's about to perform." Ella said, grabbing us both by the wrists and pulling us into the crowd. I barely had a second to wave a final goodbye to Jackie before I lost sight of her.

We wove our way towards the front of the crowd, finding a good spot in the center. I looked around at everyone around me.

People had small red and gold flags that they waved in the air. Others had hats and jackets with the school name. The most absurd thing I saw though was a guy with half of his face gold and half his face red screaming his head off.