part nine: missing teapots

The homecoming game was one of the funnest things I'd ever been to. In New York, I had always seen how school's participated in football games and how people would hang out with friends on social media, but experiencing it in real life was a whole new experience.

I had decided to call up Ella and Wendy and the three of us had decided to go and meet Brooke there. The stands were filled with red and gold and it was almost impossible to find a seat to watch.

People cheered and chanted and I quickly learned the ones that everyone knew by heart, as Ella said. I got to even experience the marching band that started to compete with the blue and black band on the other side of the stadium while the bighorn mascot did flips along the track.

It was like straight out of a movie.

I had managed to find Peter and talk to him for awhile, (Ella squealed when I told her that he had almost asked me out). Still, throughout all the chaos, I had managed to avoid Isaac.

I knew he was there somewhere with his friends but I didn't bother to look for him. I mean, why would I? We weren't really friends anyways and didn't we hate each other? Last time I checked, you don't hang out with your enemy at football games.

Still again, something was bothering me. I felt mad at him for ditching me in a place I didn't even know. He knows I don't know anyone or anything in this town and he leaves me the minute his friend comes along? Who does that?

So the next morning I had decided to attend Parker's game to hopefully distract myself and avoid him for longer.

As I sat in the stands of Parker's game alongside Katherine, she began to get worried.

"He's not picking up." she shook her head, putting her phone in her purse.

"Who?" I asked.

"Cole. I've been calling him for the past ten minutes and he hasn't answered. He promised he'd be here for her." she then looked at me, "Do you know where he is?"

I shook my head, "No, but he might have just gone to the gym or something. Or maybe he's in his shed, isn't he always in there?"

Katherine looked back at the field, "I just don't get it. He's been out there helping her practice for weeks. He would never miss this."

The game started and while it wasn't as crazy as the one from last night, it was still fun and exciting to watch the kids play.

Parker was amazing, and I could tell she was one of the best on the team. I cheered loudly for her though and was almost positive I had annoyed her at some point. Every now and then I would also catch her looking up at the stands though, hoping to see something or someone.

Growing up, Jackie, Lucy and I had each played hockey, but I was the only one to really make it all the way to high school. Because of this, I had never really been able to attend their games since I was always playing at the same time as them.

So being able to sit here and support Parker, that was awesome.

At the end of the game, she ran over to us with her helmet in hand.

"Parker, you did amazing sweetie." Katherine gushed, pulling her daughter in for a hug.

"Yeah, Parker, that was awesome." I smiled at her. She ignored both of us.

"Where is he?" she asked. Katherine looked at her uneasily.

"I — I don't know." she said, "We haven't seen him."

Parker nodded, and I could tell that she wanted to cry as her eyes grew watery. With a huff, she adjusted her helmet under arm and pushed past me and her mom, "Let's just go."