part five: heartthrob and detention

When we got in the car today, it was eerily silent. As Jackie and I sat in the middle of all the boys, I watched as they each exchanged looks between each other.

When I would look at one of them, they would instantly look away, trying to keep a smile off their faces. It wasn't until Jackie fixed her baseball hat that I had let her borrow for the day for the hundredth time that I finally snapped.

"Okay, so who did it?" I asked. I was met with silence as suddenly everyone started to look out the window, enjoying the scenic view. I whirled my head around to look behind me and was met with Lee, Isaac and Alex staring outside.

"Well?" I crossed my arms, glaring at one boy in particular. We had eventually made it to the school and were making our rounds in the parking lot and not a single one of them had spoken up.

"Y/n, really it's fine." Jackie said from beside me. I clenched my jaw, ignoring her. We parked and everyone started to file out, still not answering me at all. When Jackie started to climb out and I went after her, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I turned, being met with Lee.

"For what it's worth, Y/n, I think Jackie must look great with her new hair." he smirked evilly. I clenched my jaw, shooting daggers at him before he hurried out of the car and into the school with his brother beside him.

"Don't let them get to you." Jackie put a hand on my shoulder as we stood outside the car next to each other. "You look like you're gonna explode. Really, Y/n, I don't need you starting anything over this."

I knew my face was bright red from being angry but I only kept looking forward. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Alright class, you guys are gonna do a quick reading assignment. Yes, I know it's your favorite thing to do, you don't have to tell me." Miss. Terbin walked around, placing papers on everyone's desk. "Everyone pair off and begin annotating To Be or Not To Be by Hamlet. Yes, Benjamin?"

"Who's Hammer, Miss?" a boy in the second row raised his hand. The class erupted in snickers as Miss. Terbin put a hand on her hip.

"Hamlet is a Shakespearean character and spoke the most famous soliloquy in the english language. Maybe if you pay attention instead of talking to Miss. Lopez, you'd know more."

The whole class oohed and began to rise, looking for their friends and whom ever they were going to pair off with. This is exactly one of the things I knew I would dread once we came here.

I stayed seated in my chair, as I knew that I had no one to go to. I wondered who was going to be the unlucky person that the teacher would pair me with.

That's when I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder, "Hi. Do you have a partner?"

I looked up and saw the same girl from yesterday that I had asked to sit down. She was tall with long, dirty blonde hair. She smiled kindly at me, waiting for me to answer.

"No, I don't."

"Do you wanna be mine then?" she asked.

"Uh, sure."

She pulled the chair out from beside me and plopped down.

"I'm Ella by the way. You're Y/n, right?"

I looked at her weirdly, "How do you know that?"

"You and your sister are the new girls here. We don't get new people here often." she replied.

I felt a rush of worry fill my stomach, "Does that mean everyone knows me?"