part twenty three: getting artsy

"For the last time, it's not score a home run, it's hit a home run."

"But I thought that was the same thing?"

Brooke groaned, rubbing her temples for the fiftieth time. Wendy, Nicole and I giggled at Ella who was smiling annoyingly at our friend.

"I give up. You'll just have to come see me play if you wanna know so bad."

"Aw, come on, Brooke, I was just messing with you." Ella grinned, stealing one of her apple slices.

"Hey, you guys heard of the party coming up?" Nicole asked.

"Yeah, I heard it's at Dylan's lake house." Wendy nodded, holding out her phone, "I got this sent to me earlier."

On her screen was a lazy attempt at a flyer with details about the party.

"Sold. I'll pick you up at 7." Nicole smiled at Wendy.

"Oh Blake mentioned something about that earlier. I think we're gonna go." Ella nodded.

"Ugh, Blake is going? He always hogs you!" Wendy pouted.

Ella laughed, "Well that's only because soccer just ended but I promise I won't be hogged this time. Besides, I wanna spend some time with my girlfriends instead of my boyfriend for a little."

"Amen." Nicole grinned.

"Good, because I think someone else just might make an appearance." Brooke grinned. Nicole, Wendy, and Ella all squealed at that, earning many annoyed looks from around the cafeteria.

"Shut up! You're really going?" Nicole said as they calmed themselves.

"Yeah, I guess. I figured since I haven't been to one in awhile I should probably make my blue moon appearance so." Brooke shrugged. Ella clapped her hands delightfully, reaching over and squeezing Brooke into a tight hug.

"I'm so excited! Brooke-Wookey is going!" she said as Brooke laughed in her embrace.

"Y/n," Nicole nudged my arm from beside me, "That only leaves one more person."

I looked up from my plate and everyone was staring at me, waiting for me to answer. I swallowed my noodles.

"Yeah, I'm down." I nodded and all of them smiled before I said, "When is it again?"

"Next Saturday."

"Oh shoot, I can't." I said. All of their jaws dropped.

"What? What do you mean you can't?" Ella asked.

"Katherine's getting an award that day and all of us are going to the event." I explained, "I can't not go, everyone's going."

"Yeah, but, Y/n, you can't not go to the party. Everyone from school is going." Ella said.

"Actually only a few people are getting the invite. Dylan's trying to keep it lowkey." Wendy said. She was met with annoyed looks and she lowered her head down under their gaze.

"Sorry, guys, I can't. Besides, I wanna be there for Katherine." I shrugged.

Wendy and Ella were about to retort when Brooke put her hand up.

"Hang on, guys, let's not argue." she said, "It's Y/n's decision if she wants to go or not."

"Thank you, Brooke." I nodded appreciatively.

"Yeah, we just won't be the Fab Five." Ella pouted. Brooke suddenly shot her a look.

"For the last time, no one calls us the Fab Five!"