part two: first impressions

I hated airports. There were too many people, too many luggages, too many everything. But airports carried so many emotions.

People were happy to be reunited with their loved ones after who knows how long they were apart. People were crying, saying goodbye to people they wouldn't see for a long time. People were angry about missing their flight by two minutes.

But right now, I was annoyed.

"This stupid kid just spilled his drink all over my luggage." I complained, watching as the blue slurpee dripped down onto the floor.

"Is that Y/n I hear next to you?" Uncle Richard's voice came from beside me. I looked over, seeing his face popped up onto Jackie's screen.

"Hi, Uncle Richard."

"Y/n, how was the flight?"

"Fine." I shrugged.

"I don't know, I heard that complaint of yours. I hope you're not causing trouble." He raised a brow.

"Me? Tell that to the man who snored all the way over here and the little kid who can't walk in a straight line." I gave him a look. "Colorado just hates me."

And even if Colorado didn't hate me, I was not fond of it. I mean, who in their right mind would leave New York, the most lively city, to the middle-of-nowhere Colorado? You'd have to be insane.

"Just give it a chance. Maybe you'll grow to like it." He shrugged. Jackie turned the phone back to her.

"Don't worry about her, Uncle Richard, you know how she gets." Jackie gave me a look, to which I glared at her. Uncle Richard just laughed.

"Okay, well, how are you? Doing good?"

"Yep." Jackie nodded. I looked up, seeing a familiar redhead along with her tall and gruff husband, heading straight for us.

"Listen, I'm sorry I couldn't come with you guys to meet the Walters." He sighed, "I-"

I quickly moved the phone away from Jackie, "I think we see them. We better go."

"Girls, I know it's a big change." He said, "Keep your head up. I'm here whenever you need me. Alright? Text me later."

"Okay." Jackie nodded.

"Bye, Tío." I ended the call. Jackie put her phone into her back pocket and sighed.

"What?"

"Nothing." She shook her head, looking straight ahead at the couple walking over through the crowd. I kept looking at her, waiting for her to fess up. Finally she looked over at me and sighed, "Could you just try and be nice for once? I don't want your little attitude to give us a bad start already."

I furrowed my brows, looking straight ahead. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Approaching us, the couple emerged from the crowd, the both of them smiling widely. I recognized the woman, having seen her earlier in the summer at the funeral. She was pretty, she had a long flowy dress and a bright smile.

"Jackie, Y/n." She walked up to us, pulling the both of us in for a hug. I tried to cover my surprise, smiling awkwardly instead as I embraced the tall woman.

"Hi." The both of us greeted.

"I'm so happy you're both here." She said, still having her arms around us.

"Thanks, Katherine." Jackie said. She pulled away, still smiling brightly.

"So, um..." She cleared her throat and stepped away, turning to her side and pointing behind her. She laughed, seeing that no one was there and turned to her other side, where her husband stood.